NFPA's DARAC Meeting is open to the public June 11-12, 2016 at Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, NV.
Here is the agenda:
(Disability Access Review and Advisory Committee)
Saturday and Sunday, June 11th and 12th, 2016
Surf “F” (Meetings) & Surf “E” (Dining),
Mandalay Bay Conference Center,
Las Vegas, NV
- 8:30 a.m.- Breakfast for Committee members (both mornings, lunch both days)
- 9:00 a.m. - Call to order by Staff Liaison Allan Fraser.
- Self - Introductions of Members and Guests
- Election of Chair and Vice Chair (Bylaws and Operating Procedures)
ARTICLE 5 COMMITTEE OFFICERS
- 5.1 In January of even-numbered calendar years, following the appointment or re-appointment of all DARAC members, the committee will elect a chairperson and a vice chairperson from among the committee’s members.
- 5.2 The chairperson and vice-chairperson shall serve in those positions for two years.
- 5.3 The chairperson and vice-chairperson or their designees may attend NFPA Technical Committee meetings as needed.
- Group dinner Sunday night at Wolfgang Puck’s Lupo, 1st floor, Mandalay Bay on the corridor leading from the Casino to the Parking Garage
- Approval of Minutes –
- Sept. 28-30, 2015 Meeting in Washington, DC (Attach. 1)
- Updates on NFPA activities and initiatives:
- 2016 C&E Programs in Las Vegas
- Fire Safety Education--Bringing Children and Older Adults Together to Learn
- Evacuation Shelters -- The Critical First 24 Hours
- Disaster Preparedness and Incident Management Best Practices
- Emergency Evacuation -- Don't Assume The First Responders are Responsible
- Hurricane Preparedness -- The Who, What, and Why of the 120 Hour Plan
- Remembering When--A Program Evaluation and Its Implications
- Interactive Overview of NFPA's New Technical Committee on Building Fire & Life Safety Directors
- Aging Populations, Independent Living, Home Health Care, Safety, and the Residential Environment
- Fire Drill Best Practices in Health Care Settings
- Expo Data:
Accessibility Expo (10’x10’ Units)
- e-ACCESS (URL on Post card) (Attach. 2)
- Ideas, thoughts, criticisms
- Soliciting more articles
- DARAC’s new webpage (www.nfpa.org/DARAC
- Ideas? Add, delete, modify, etc.
- 2nd Edition of NFPA’s Emergency Evacuation Planning Guide for People with Disabilities (Attach.3)
- NFPA 101/5000
- Grab bars (Attach. 4)
- Stair descent devices (Attach. 5)
- Campus Fire Safety (Attach. 6)
- 31st CSUN Conference on Technology & People with Disabilities
- Sessions (Exercise Handouts & Attach. 7)
- Booth – (PPT loop)
- Building Fire and Life Safety Directors Technical Committee (New- See below)
- Meeting 2:00pm Sunday, June 12th
- Panel Session Tuesday, June 14th, 3:30pm -4:30 pm, Reef E
- Tentative - September, 2016 US Senate SAA National Emergency Preparedness Fair.
- Report: NFIRS Incident Types – Why aren’t they telling a clearer story? (Attach. 8)
- ICC/ANSI A117.1 Update:
- New Business
- New NFPA Conference Center (Attach. 9)
- New NFPA project: “Professional Practices for Facility Fire Safety Planning and Fire Safety Directors: (Attach. 10)
Building Fire and Life Safety Directors (BFL-AAA)
Committee Scope: (As revised by the Standards Council, April 5-6, 2016)
This committee shall have primary responsibility for documents related to the duties, requirements, competencies and professional qualifications required of Building Fire and Life Safety Directors. This committee shall also have primary responsibility for the establishment of minimum requirements for emergency action plans addressing all-hazard emergencies within occupied structures having an occupant load of greater than 500 This committee shall not have responsibility of such qualifications, roles, responsibilities, or emergency action plans within industrial occupancies.
(First Project: Duties, Roles, Competencies and Professional Qualifications for Building Fire & Life Safety Directors):
This standard identifies the minimum job performance requirements (JPRs) for building fire and life safety director.
- Staff Liaison is A. Fraser.
- Suggestions for potential TC members with disabilities
- Bylaw revisions task group (Attach. 11)
- Bill Scott appointed Rocky Burks, Marsha Mazz, Toby Olsen and himself as a task group to review the bylaws and operating procedures and to make appropriate recommendations for modifications for committee votes back in 2010. The task group has completed its work and is presenting its recommended changes for discussion and a vote by the full committee.
- 2017 Conference & Expo – June 4-7, 2017, Boston Convention and Exhibition Center.
- Ideas for marketing
- Ideas for vendors
- Ideas for vendor/other presentations
- Update on re-building NFPA’s website– Lorraine Carli and vendor, OHO Interactive