Thanksgiving generally has one of the greatest home fire starts from cooking.  It is important to make sure that you follow some tips to make sure that you have a safe and fun holiday while we are already spoiling our diets!  According to an NFPA blog posted on November 16th 2012 by Lauren Blackstrom, “Thanksgiving is the leading day for home cooking fires, with three times as many fires occurring on that day.”
One source of these Fire Starts especially outside is the deep oil Turkey Fryer !  They make a wonderfully cooked turkey in a fraction of the cooking time but can also potentially be a source of a home fire and since most are used outdoors a wildfire!
Tips for Safe Use:
- Make sure that the fryer is at least 10 feet away from the home or other combustible structure. It should never be used inside of a home or garage no matter how cold it is outside. Never place the fryer under overhanging branches. Make sure that the area around the fryer is Firewise, free of debris or other flammable materials at least 10 feet in all directions.
- A functioning/fully charged multi-purpose fire extinguisher should always be within reach.
- When putting oil in the fyer always remember that the turkey will raise the level of oil in the fryer. Review the instructions on the fryer.
- Monitor the temperature of the oil if it is smoking it is too hot. Turn the burner down or off if the oil is smoking.
- The turkey should be completely thawed and dry before putting in the fryer. Wet and frozen meat can cause the oil to boil over.
- Wear gloves, long sleeves, safety glasses etc when putting the turkey into the fryer. The turkey should be lowered into the oil very slowly.
- Make sure that you are watching the fryer at all times. Once the turkey is in the fryer do not walk away, even to have a piece of pumpkin pie.
- Always make sure that pets and children are not near the fryer during the cooking process.
- If the oil ignites do not use water! Use your multipurpose extinguisher and call 911 if needed.
!http://i.zemanta.com/222385466_80_80.jpg|src=http://i.zemanta.com/222385466_80_80.jpg|alt=|style=padding: 0; margin: 0; border: 0; display: block; width: 80px; max-width: 100%;!