Did you know that the NFPA has some very interesting statistics based upon Fire Losses in the United States? For example, one outside fire was reported in the United States every 52 seconds.
Of all of the wildfires that have burned in the United States most according to the latest proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences; “Human-started wildfires expand the fire niche across the United States”, have been caused by humans. According to the proceedings, 84% of the wildfires have been caused by humans. The proceedings also indicate that during the 21 year period, the human-caused fire season is 3 times longer than the lightning-caused fire season. The paper pointed out the importance of;
- Raising awareness of this trend of human-caused wildfire management
- More management of forests in areas where the risk for a human-caused wildfire is high.
- Taking steps to reduce the risk of loss due to wildfire
NFPA offers a variety of free resources and opportunities for your community to reduce its risk of loss;
- Resources for youth in NFPA’s TakeAction campaign including virtual field trips
- Funding opportunities provided by State Farm through NFPA’s Wildfire Community Preparedness Day event
- The Firewise USA program and resources for neighborhoods to take effective action to reduce their risk of loss
- NFPA’s 2-day course Assessing Wildfire Hazards in the Home Ignition Zone.
Visit NFPA’s Firewise web page to learn more about how you can be a part of the solution to this growing problem.