You can write your own wildfire safety success story by participating in Wildfire Community Preparedness Day. Go to the Wildfire Community Preparedness Day site and read about other community stories of success that we hope will encourage and inspire you to create your own successful project. One such story highlights the great work that was done in Lacey Township, New Jersey. Andrew Casteneli, Fire Prevention Officer, Forked River Fire Company shared their story with us; “A big thank you on behalf of the Forked River Fire Company, the Pheasant Run Fire wise committee and the residents of Lacey Township, New Jersey. This year's Wildfire Community Preparedness Day was a big success due in part to the grant given to us by the NFPA and State Farm. We had over 60 residents participate in hazard mitigation, education, and clean-up activities over the weekend. Many of the residents were new to the program and were extremely enthusiastic about participating.”
You can make your plan today to participate in this larger story of wildfire risk reduction nationwide and internationally. Here’s how you can get started;
- Go to the Wildfire Community Preparedness Day site and read about other community stories of success.
- Take a look at your areas of greatest risk. Include local fire districts or land management agencies. What can you do in one day to get started reducing your risk of loss?
- Write a plan and apply for your share of $500. This is where you decide what you need to do to create your own success story.
- Invite others to participate. Use the free online mapping application or downloadable, fillable flyer to promote what you are doing and invite neighbors to work together.
- Participate on the day!
- Share your success on the Firewise Facebook page or with your local media using the press template on the Wildfire Community Preparedness Day page.
It really is simple, easy and can be fun to get started. Don’t worry this next wildfire season. Get prepared now to create a safer home and neighborhood. You can be a part of something bigger by writing your very own story of success!