It is not often that people doing the long-term, incremental, locally-based, small-scale work that is vital to wildfire risk reduction are recognized for their efforts, perseverance, and commitment. For the fifth year in a row, the organizations that make up the Wildfire Mitigation Awards committee have created an opportunity to acknowledge these unsung heroes in our midst.
Representatives of the US Forest Service, International Association of Fire Chiefs, National Association of State Foresters and NFPA established We are all pleased to announce the winners of the 2019 Wildfire Mitigation Awards, a result of nominations from their colleagues and fellow safety advocates:
- Byron Bonney (Bitter Root Resource Conservation and Development Area, Hamilton, Montana)
- City of Pigeon Forge (Pigeon Forge, Tennessee)
- Greater Flagstaff Forests Partnership (Flagstaff, Arizona)
- Pat Dwyer (Logtown Fire Safe Council and El Dorado County Fire Safe Council, Logtown, California)
- Paulette Church (Durango, Colorado)
- Rocky Infanger (Tri-County FireSafe Working Group/Wolf Creek Volunteer Fire Department, Helena, Montana)
- Sunset View Estates (Bend, Oregon)
The Awards will be presented at the Wildland Urban-Interface 2019 Conference in Reno, Nevada, March 27, 2019. Learn more about the conference and how to register here.
For more about the Awards process and goals, read our press release here.