Photo: Screenshot from CNN video.
Days after fire detroyed their Tennessee home, the family of country singer Trace Adkins is pretty happy today... happy they all escaped unharmed. According to news reports, a dryer caught fire, sending flames and smoke throughout the home. Adkins' wife and three daughters escaped, crediting the fact they had developed and practiced a home escape plan.
Rhonda Adkins talked about tying a yellow ribbon around a tree in the front yard to designate where they all would meet should they have a fire in the home. They developed an escape plan after the girls learned about fire safety at school.The official Trace Adkins website today reminds fans to follow their lead and make sure your family is prepared by putting together a home escape plan and practicing it twice a year.
- Draw a map of your home. Show all doors and windows.
- Visit each room. Find two ways out.
- All windows and doors should open easily. You should be able to use them to get outside.
- Make sure your home has smoke alarms. Push the test button to make sure each alarm is working.
- Pick a meeting place outside. It should be in front of your home.
- Everyone will meet at the meeting place.
- Make sure you house or building number can be seen from the street.
- Talk about your plan with everyone in your home.
- Learn the emergency phone number for your fire department.
- Practice your home fire escape drill!
We are so glad everyone got out safely.