Every year the NFPA Standards Council recognizes individuals for outstanding service to the organization in the development of codes and standards. Awards were presented to 12 individuals prior to the start of the Association Technical Meeting at the NFPA conference in Chicago.
The highest award given by the Standards Council, the Standards Medal is given for outstanding contribution to fire safety in the development of standards prepared by NFPA technical committees.
The 2013 Standards Medal was presented to Philip J DiNenno of Baltimore, MD, president of Hughes Associates, Inc. Mr. DiNenno, who currently serves on the NFPA Board of Directors, has served on many NFPA Technical Committees, including Gaseous Fire Extinguishing Systems, Merchant Vessels, Water Mist Fire Suppression Systems, Halon Alternative Protection Options, Fire Investigations and Fire Tests. He also served on the NFPA Standards Council from 1998-2007, as Chair from 2002-2007.
SPECIAL SERVICE AWARDS
Special Achievement Award presented to recognize the significant contribution of a committee member to a single project that has enhanced the NFPA codes- and standards-making process.
William E. Peterson of Plano, Texas
This award recognizes not only Bill’s leadership and personal contributions with the Fire Service Training project, but also his efforts with the many committee projects Bill has been participating in over the years.
William has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• Professional Qualifications since 1990 Chair since 2009
• Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner Professional Qualifications since 1984; Chair from 1990 – 2000
• Fire Service Organization and Deployment from 1995 – 1998
• Fire Service Training since 1977; Chair from 2001 – 2011.
• Member of the NFPA Standards Council from 1993 – 1998.
• Member of the Board of Directors from 1996 – 1999.
Dr. Shane M. Clary of Bay Alarm Company in Pacheco, California
This award recognizes not only Shane’s leadership and personal contributions with the many committees on which he participates, but also his efforts with the new process rewrite.
Shane has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• Technical Correlating Committees on Signaling Systems from 2003 – 2013
• Protected Premises Fire Alarm and Signaling Systems since 1993
• Fundamentals of Fire Alarm and Signaling Systems since 2003 Chair from 2003 – 2013;
• Carbon Monoxide Detection since 2005;
• Technical Correlating Committee on Life Safety Code® since 2007
• Building Construction and Safety Code® Technical Committee on Building Systems since 2000
• NEC® Code-Making Panel 3 since 2002
• Premises Security since 2001
• Fire Code Committee since 2005
• Cultural Resources since 2006
• Fire Risk Assessment Methods since 2010
• Commissioning and Integrated Testing since 2007
• NFPA Standards Council from 2006 – 2011
Joseph Jardin of the New York City Fire Department, New York
This award recognizes his commitment and dedication to the development and implementation of the new NFPA Standards Process
Joseph has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• Life Safety Code®/Building Construction and Safety Code® Building Service and Fire Protection Equipment since 1991; Chair since 2009
• Residential Occupancies from1991 – 2000; Chair 1994 – 2000
• Correlating Committees Building Construction and Safety Code® since 2000
• Life Safety Code® since 2009
• Life Safety Code® TC on Alternative Approaches to Life Safety from 1991 – 2004
• NFPA Standards Council from 2005 – 2011.
COMMITTEE SERVICE AWARDS
The Committee Service Award is given to a technical committee member for continuous and exemplary service on one or more committees over a substantial period of time, and in recognition and appreciation of distinguished service to the NFPA in the development of NFPA Codes and Standards.
James B. Biggins of Global Risk Consultants Corporation, in Manhattan, Illinois
James has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• Internal Combustion Engines since 1992; Chair from1993 – 2003
• Fire Protection for Nuclear Facilities from 1990 – 2011
• Automatic Sprinkler Systems Correlating Committee since 2006
Private Water Supply Piping Systems since 1996; and Chair 2006 – 2010
Hanging and Bracing of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems since 1998; Chair 2010
Lawrence M. Krasner Medfield, Massachusetts formerly of FM Global
Lawrence has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• Aircraft Rescue and Fire Fighting since 1973; and Chair 1996 – 1997
• Airport Facilities since 1975; Chair 1982 – 1997
Joseph N. Saino of Memphis, Tennessee
Joseph served on the Technical Committee on Fire Doors and Windows for 40 years, he has been a member since 1973.
Michael A. Wieder of Fire Protection Publications in Stillwater, Oklahoma
Michael has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• Correlating Committee on Professional Qualifications since 2003
Fire Fighter Professional Qualifications since 1990,
Incident Management Personnel Professional Qualifications since 2003 as Chair
Traffic Control Management Professional Qualifications since 2010
• Fire Service Training from 2001 – 2004.
Richard W. Carlson, Okolona Fire Department, Louisville, Kentucky
Richard has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• The Technical Correlating Committee on Professional Qualifications since 2003
• The Technical Committee on Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner Professional Qualifications since 1991; Chair since 2003.
Timothy M. Croushore of FirstEnergy Technologies in Greensburg, Pennsylvania
Timothy has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• Panel 12 since 2005 as chair.
• Code-Making Panel 3 from 1993 – 1996;
• Code-Making Panel 9 from 1993 – 2005; and Chair 1998 – 2005;
• The Technical Correlating Committee on the National Electrical Code® 1998; and
• The Technical Committee on Electrical Equipment Maintenance from 1999 – 2008.
Scott Cline, McMurtrey Electric, Inc., Monterey Park, CA
Scott has served on several NEC Panels
• National Electrical Code®:
Code-Making Panel 6 since 2005 as Chair – present
Code-Making Panel 12 from 1997 – 2002
Code-Making Panel 20 from 1997 – 2002
Code-Making Panel 10 from 2002 – 2005
William R. Drake, Actuant Electrical, Fairfield, CA
William has served on the Technical Correlating Committee on the National Electrical Code® since 1988
Leslie Sabin-Mercado, San Diego Gas & Electric Company, San Diego, CA
Leslie has served on several NFPA Technical Committees:
• National Electrical Code®:
Code-Making Panel 19 in 1993; and again as Chair in 2005
Code-Making Panel 20 from 2005 – 2007