Local fire departments are critical to the success of Fire Prevention Week - we count on their participation and support each year to reach local communities with the campaign's fire safety messages.
In appreciation of those efforts, we’re kicking off the Fire Prevention Week 2015 Challenge, which works to recognize the hard work and creativity of fire departments that are actively promoting Fire Prevention Week in their communities this fall.
Here’s how the Fire Prevention Week 2015 Challenge works: All U.S. fire departments are invited to send NFPA a picture of an event they’ve hosted in support of Fire Prevention Week and this year’s theme, “Hear the Beep Where You Sleep: Every Bedroom Needs a Working Smoke Alarm.” Pictures can be submitted for an event a fire department has held anytime between now and October 31, 2015. The application is available online at www.nfpa.org/firepreventionweek.
Participating in the Challenge activity also fulfills the requirements of the Federal Emergency Management Association’s (FEMA) Preparathon!® campaign, which works to increase the number of Americans who understand the disasters most relevant their community, while educating them on ways to be safer and mitigate damage.
A total of 10 winners will be randomly selected to receive a free NFPA Fire Safety Sports Box (valued at $420), which includes:
- Sparky®'s Team Up For Fire Safety Flag (4' x 6')
- 1 Fire Safety Activities for your Team Sports Brochure (11" x 17" folds to 8.5" x 11", 4-color)
- 100 All-Star Fire Safety Brochures
- 100 Sparky's Team Up for Fire Safety Soft Slap Bracelets
- 100 Sparky's Team Up for Fire Safety Drawstring Sports Bags
- 100 Sparky's Team Up for Fire Safety Tattoos
- 100 Sparky's Team Up for Fire Safety Water Bottles (not intended for children under the age of five)
All winners will be notified and announced in November, and their events will be promoted on Safety Source, NFPA’s public education newsletter; NFPA’s social media platforms and website; and featured in a blog highlighting their efforts.