Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors, the leading national non-profit organization dedicated to empowering anyone affected by a burn injury, recently elected new officers and members to its Board of Directors.
- NFPA’s Vice President of Outreach and Advocacy Lorraine Carli was elected as the Board’s president. Carli is also president of the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition (HFSC) and serves on the boards for The Center of Campus Fire Safety and Electric Safety Foundation International.
- Karen Colligan was elected as vice president. Colligan is founder and principal of PeopleThink, is a recognized expert in leadership, team effectiveness and organizational development. A burn survivor herself, she has been an active volunteer with the Phoenix Society for many years.
- Peg Paul was elected as secretary. Paul is the communications manager for HFSC. She is the owner and director of Peg Paul & Associates (PPA), a marketing communications agency. The American Fire Sprinkler Association recognized her as the 2014 Fire Sprinkler Advocate of the Year.
- Tony Burke was elected treasurer. Burke was in the fire service for nearly 20 years. He served as the volunteer executive director of the BC Professional Fire Fighters’ Burn Fund and was appointed to the International Association of Fire Fighters’ Burn Foundation.
In addition to the new officers, three new Board members were also elected.
- Sheryl Ramstad works as the burn survivor peer support representative at St. Paul Regions Hospital and Phoenix SOAR peer supporter where she was once a patient, being a burn survivor herself. After many years in the law field, she is currently working on her Doctorate in Nursing Practice.
- Dean Elliott currently serves as vice president of Corporate Compliance for AlloSource, one of the nation’s largest non-profit providers of skin, bone and soft tissue allografts for use in surgical procedures. He served as a firefighter and EMT for 14 years.
- Victor C. Joe, MD, FACS, FCCP is a Board-certified general surgeon with added qualifications in Surgical Critical Care. He is the medical director of the UC Irvine Regional Burn Center, and he is a practicing trauma, burn and general surgeon.
Phoenix Society collaborates with NFPA on such projects as the Faces of Fire video series, an advocacy tool to promote required installation of fire sprinklers in new one- and two-family homes as part of NFPA’s Fire Sprinkler Initiative.