Our International Department is excited to welcome visitors from India, who are at NFPA headquarters today! The delegation, which has traveled to the U.S. at the invitation of our FM Global friends, represents members of various codes and standards committees for the Bureau of Indian Standards.
The participants here today include:
- Ashok Menon - Director, Goa Fire Service
- M.V. Deshmukh - President, National Association of Fire Officers
- Subhash Kumar - GM (Fire), Airport Authority of India
- A K Sharma, Ex - Director, Delhi Fire Service
- Santosh Warick - Fire Advisor & Chief Fire Officer, MIDC Fire Service,
- Devendra Potphode - CFO, Pune City Metropolitan Authority
- Dr. G A Bhat - Ex Fire Advisor, Govt of J&K
- TRA Krishnan - National Building Code Writer
- Ratnakar Chimote - Chief Scientist, CBRI, Code committee member
This group will be learning about NFPA’s standards development process, our standards concerning life safety and fire sprinklers, the work of the Research Foundation, and our Big Data initiative.
India is the most populous democracy in the world (1.2 billion people) and has become one of the fastest growing major economies. It is now considered a newly industrialized country with significant fire protection challenges. A number of our standards are already used by design professionals in India, and as we continue building relationships with India’s representatives, we hope to expand their use of our codes and standards to strengthen fire and life safety throughout the country.
A warm welcome goes out to the delegation!