- The NFPA Certified Fire Inspector I (CFI-I) certification program was created in response to repeated requests by local entities, state agencies, and national organizations for certification programs founded on the NFPA 1031, Standard for Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. When you pass the exam you gain recognition as an expert by your colleagues and you earn an NFPA / Pro Board CFI-I certificate, wallet card and lapel pin that further highlights your accomplishment.
- The exam is 4-hours, 110 multiple choice questions. Download the Candidate Handbook (PDF) for more information.
- You can take the written exam at a dedicated location or select a computer-based exam. The examination is available on demand in a computer-based format at test centers around the world. Upon receipt of the application and test fee, the applicant will receive their authorization letter with instructions on how to schedule the computer-based exam. A list of computer-based test centers is located at isoqualitytesting.com
- The application must be received 4 weeks prior to the exam date. The spring exam schedule for the Certified Fire Inspector I exam includes:
February 10, 2017 in New Orleans, LA - application due January 12, 2017
March 24, 2017 in Las Vegas, NV - application due February 23, 2017
April 14, 2017 in Atlanta, GA - application due March 16, 2017
May 12, 2017 at NFPA Headquarters in Quincy, MA - application due April 13, 2017
- It's an open-book test. The latest version of the CFI-I exam is based on the 2014 NFPA 1031, Professional Qualifications for Fire Inspector and Plan Examiner. It is the candidate’s responsibility to obtain materials needed for study purposes and to have present during the examination. The following list contains the resources to be used in preparing for and taking the examination. All items in the examination are compatible with both code sets. Please verify with your jurisdiction or certification partnership agency for the proper set.
2009 NFPA Code Set
•NFPA 1, Fire Code - 2009 Ed.
•NFPA 13, Installation of Sprinkler Systems - 2007 Ed.
•NFPA 25, Standard for the ITM of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems - 2008 Ed.
•NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm Code® - 2007 Ed.
•NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code® - 2009 Ed.
2012 NFPA Code Set
•NFPA 1, Fire Code - 2012 Ed.
•NFPA 13, Installation of Sprinkler Systems - 2010 Ed.
•NFPA 25, Standard for the ITM of Water-Based Fire Protection Systems - 2011 Ed.
•NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm Code® - 2010 Ed.
•NFPA 101®, Life Safety Code® - 2012 Ed.
- The reference set is available at a special price. These NFPA codes and standards have been conveniently packaged into reference sets and are available for people registering for the CFI-1 exam at a special price, only through the NFPA Certification Department. Download the CFI-I Application Form (PDF) (appendix I) to order these references. Please be sure to indicate which set you would like on your order form.
- Additional Materials. In addition to the NFPA resources listed above, the NFPA Fire and Life Safety Inspection Manual, 9th Edition (Contact NFPA Customer Service at 800-344-3555 to order), and the IFSTA Fire Inspection and Code Enforcement Manual, 7th Edition (contact IFSTA at 800-654-4055 to order) are excellent resources for study and review. Please keep in mind that their use is not allowed during the examination.
- Certifed Fire Inspector -I 4-day Classroom Training is scheduled for the same locations as the exam, during the four days preceding the written exam. While not a test prep training, it does offer practical instruction that will help you quickly locate specific facts within the reference books click here to be notified of 2017 dates.
- Pass the exam to receive a Pro Board recognized certification, recognition as an expert by your colleagues, and an NFPA/Pro Board CFI-I certificate, wallet card and lapel pin that further highlights your accomplishment.
Applications to sit for the written CFI-I exam must be processed and approved 4 weeks prior to the exam date. Simply download the Candidate Handbook and the CFI-I Application Form. Please direct questions and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-984-7432 or go to nfpa.org/cfi