The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) is considering the development of ANSI Accredited Standards in support of the electrical inspection community. Standards to address requisite skills and knowledge, including the establishment of minimum job performance requirements (“JPR”) for those who conduct electrical inspections and electrical plan reviews are envisioned. Additionally, a stand-alone document to address and establish recommended practices for electrical inspections is being explored.
If either or both of the New Project Initiations are ultimately approved by the Standards Council after consideration of public comments, a new Technical Committee may be established for electrical inspection related standards. Activities of the Technical Committee are anticipated to focus on:
- Job performance requirements for personnel performing electrical inspections;
- General skills, knowledge and experience to perform electrical inspections;
- Job performance requirements for electrical plan review;
- General skills, knowledge and experience to perform electrical plan reviews;
- Recommended practices for conducting electrical inspections (residential and commercial).
NFPA is seeking comments from all interested organizations and individuals to gauge whether support exists for standards development to support the electrical inspection community. Specifically, please submit your comments to the following:
- Are you, or your organization, in favor of the development of an NFPA Standard pertaining to job performance requirements of personnel performing electrical inspections and electrical plan review?
- Please state your reason(s) for supporting or opposing such standards development.
- Are you, or your organization, in favor of the development of an NFPA Standard to establish recommended practices for electrical inspections?
- Are you or your organization interested in applying for membership on the Technical Committee if established by the Standards Council? If yes, please submit an application, in addition to your comments in support of the project: Submit online application*
Please submit all comments, in support or opposition to standards development related to electrical inspections and electrical plan reviews to NFPA by the deadline below.
*Applications being accepted for purposes of documenting applicant interest in committee participation. Acceptance of applications by NFPA does not guaranty or imply the Standards Council will ultimately approve standards development activity on this subject matter.