The new U.S. Fire Department Profile report states that there were an estimated 1,160,450 local firefighters in the U.S. and an estimated 29,727 total fire departments. Of these, 2,651 departments were all career, 1,893 were mostly career, 5,421 were mostly volunteer and 19,762 were all volunteer. More than one-quarter of the firefighters in the U.S. are in the 30-39 age group and nearly half of the U.S. population is protected by all career fire departments.
Did you know?
70% of firefighters in the U.S. are volunteer.
Click on the link above to find out more about the results of this report, which includes:
- The number of women in the fire service
- The age breakdown of firefighters
- Tenure period of firefighters
- Differences between volunteer and career departments and the populations they protect
- How many fire departments provided EMS
and so much more!