The latest issue of NFPA Journal®, the official magazine for the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), previews the 2017 Conference & Expo with stories covering a number of issues that will be addressed at this year’s conference in Boston.
The 160-page issue includes feature stories on firefighter cancer, flammable refrigerants, virtual inspections, hot work, and more. In addition to the lineup of departments and columns, the issue also includes 30 pages of listings covering the products and services that will be on display at the Expo, which runs June 4–6.
In Facing Cancer, the issue’s lead feature, NFPA Journal looks at cancer in the fire service and details how the Boston Fire Department has become a national leader in taking steps to prevent cancer in firefighters. The story is part of a preview of a first responder health forum that will be held as part of this year’s Conference & Expo.
Also featured in this issue:
- Structural Survival – Journal previews a pair of conference education sessions that will present ways to better protect homes and buildings against the threat of wildfire.
- Hot Work, Safe Work – A look at the key findings from U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Board investigations into hot work incidents around the country.
- Freezer Burn – A feature detailing possible changes to codes that could result in the widespread use of flammable refrigerants.
- In Compliance – The popular section on code compliance leads off with an NFPA 13 article on the challenge of designing fire protection systems for museums, art galleries, and other high-value cultural occupancies.
- Outreach – The column on outreach and advocacy focuses on a fatal residential fire in Connecticut as another reminder of why states must embrace home fire sprinklers.
- Dispatches – The magazine’s beefed-up front section includes stories on continued research into the historic Cocoanut Grove fire, big-data research that’s being applied to cities, international fire news, and more.
To read NFPA Journal on the go, download the mobile apps available through the Apple App Store and Google Play.