As I'm sure you've all heard, the NFPA Conference & Exposition comes to Boston next week. An important part of the C&E is the annual technical meeting on Wednesday, June 7, at which certified amending motions (CAMs) on numerous codes and standards will be debated by the membership. The 2018 edition of NFPA 101 is included on the docket. Topics to be debated include:
- Addition of physical violence mitigation to the Code's goals and objectives
- Operation of shutters protecting openings in smoke partitions
- Number of releasing operations for classroom door locks to prevent unwanted entry
- Larger hospital smoke compartments
- New occupant load factors for business uses, including collaboration rooms
- New provisions for risk analyses for mass notification systems
- New provisions for integrated fire protection and life safety system testing per NFPA 4
There are a total of 25 CAMs addressing these topics in various parts of the Code. If you believe these topics are important, the NFPA process depends on your voice being heard. The complete technical meeting agenda is available here.
I'll be there. If you plan to attend, please look for me and say hello. I'm looking forward to what I'm sure will be some lively debate. Hope to see you there!
Thanks for reading. Until next time, stay safe.
Got an idea for a topic for a future #101Wednesdays? Post it in the comments below – I’d love to hear your suggestions!
Did you know NFPA 101 is available to review online for free? Head over to www.nfpa.org/101 and click on “Free access to the 2015 edition of NFPA 101.”
Follow me on Twitter: @NFPAGregH