The updated 2018 edition of the NFPA Glossary of Terms (GOT) has been published and is available for free online. Visit www.nfpa.org/got to download your copy.
The GOT is a list of the defined terms in all of NFPA's published codes, standards, guides and recommended practices. Over 18,000 terms are listed alphabetically and assembled into a free PDF available on the NFPA website. The document is used in a number of ways. It helps NFPA Technical Committees who are looking to define new terms or compare existing terms. It also helps members of the public who are interested in learning about how NFPA documents define specific terms. The GOT contains the following details about each term:
- Term: The word being defined.
- Definition: The description of the term.
- Document (Edition): Where the term and definition are found (document #) and the edition year of that document.
- Document Defining Same Term: A list of all documents that also define the same term.
- Document Using Same Definition: A list of all documents that also define the same term in the exact same way
See the figure below for an example of how the GOT is organized. The term "Barrel" is defined in three documents: NFPA 1, NFPA 30, and NFPA 80. NFPA 1 and NFPA 30 both define the term in the exact same way. The first two definitions refer to a unit of volume while the last definition, from NFPA 80, refers to a rolling steel door component. To learn more about any of the documents defining a term, visit the NFPA Document Information Pages at https://www.nfpa.org/insert doc #. For example, NFPA 80 can be found at www.nfpa.org/80.