The updated 2019 edition of the NFPA Glossary of Terms (GOT) has been published and is available for free.
The GOT is a list of the defined terms in NFPA's published codes, standards, guides and recommended practices. Over 16,900 terms are listed alphabetically and assembled into a free PDF available on the NFPA website. The document is used in a number of ways. It helps NFPA Technical Committees who are looking to define new terms or compare existing terms. It also helps members of the public who are interested in learning about how NFPA documents define specific terms. The GOT contains the following details about each term:
- Term: The word being defined.
- Definition: The description of the term.
- Document (Edition): Where the term and definition are found (document #) and the edition year of that document.
- Document Defining Same Term: A list of documents that also define the same term.
- Document Using Same Definition: A list of documents that also define the same term in the exact same way.
See the figure below for an example of how the GOT is organized. The term "Barrel" is defined in three documents: NFPA 1, NFPA 30, and NFPA 80. NFPA 1 and NFPA 30 both define the term in the exact same way. The two definitions refer to a unit of volume while the definition from NFPA 80, refers to a rolling steel door component. To learn more about any of NFPA’s codes, standards, guides and recommended practices defining a term, visit the NFPA Document Information Pages – To go to a specific document page use the shortcut link: www.nfpa.org/(insert doc #). For example, NFPA 80 can be found at www.nfpa.org/80.