This is a semi-annual update on Fire Protection Research Foundation activities. Although we may not be running into you at meetings and conferences these days, or seeing you at NFPA Headquarters - our team remains focused on generating the research needed to reduce loss in our world. Here is a quick summary of our recently completed, on-going and upcoming activities to provide you with the information and knowledge you need to do your job successfully. For the complete list of current projects, visit here.
2020 Q1 & Q2 Completed Projects
- Fire Protection Effectiveness of Fluorine Free Firefighting Foams
- Research Roadmap: Environmental Impact of Fires in the Built Environment
- Impact of Elevated Walkways in Storage on Sprinkler Protection
- Review of Smoke Alarm Waking Effectiveness
- Electrical Data Summit: Impact of Data on the Electrical World
- Open Medical Gas Storage in a Healthcare Facility Smoke Compartment
- Firefighter Safety for Energy Storage System Fires (Adv Serv)
- Jan/Feb NFPA Journal Feature Story on FPRF Stranded Energy Project
- Mar/Apr NFPA Journal Column on "Living with Wildfire" highlighted FPRF Workshop on Advancing WUI Resilience.
- SFPE Magazine features FPRF project on "Digitized Fuel Load Survey Methodology in Buildings using Machine Vision
- SFPE Europe Article features FPRF Project on "Tall Wood Buildings – Phase 2: Task 4"
- Article "How Should Parking Garage Fire Hazards be Classified?" in June 2020 Plumbing Engineering Magazine highlights FPRF project on "Modern Vehicle Hazards in Parking Garages & Vehicle Carriers"
- ASHE Healthcare Facilities Management Article, Research project studies gaps and clearances around fire doors" (May 2020)
- July/Aug NFPA Journal Feature Story "Crowd Source" on FPRF project "Data-Informed Crowd Management"
Projects initiated in 2020 Q1 & Q2
- Public Safety sUAS Compliance Training
- Occupational Exposure of Firefighters: Literature Review
- Fire Safety Challenges of Green Buildings (Update)
- Economic and Emotional Impact of an ASHER Event
- Fire Safety in the United States
- Assessment, Improvement, and Application of Multi-Hazard System-Level Performance Evaluations of First Responder Ensembles
Q1 & Q2 Webinar Update
- Review of Audible Alarm Waking Effectiveness Webinar was held on February 5th, 2020. Recording available here.
- Digitized Fuel Load Survey in Buildings using Machine Vision Webinar was held on April 2nd, 2020. Recording available here.
- Modern Vehicle Hazards in Parking Garages and Vehicle Carriers webinar was held on June 2, 2020, Recording available here.
- Time-restricted eating for improving overall health and sleep among firefighters, on August 11, 2020, 12:30pm - 2pm ET. Register here.
- Awards: Research team from Johns Hopkins University and University of Buffalo were awarded the 2019 Foundation Medal for the Digitized Fuel Load Survey in Buildings using Machine Vision project.
- Event Cancelled: Suppression, Detection and Signaling Research Applications Conference (SUPDET 2020) and the 17th International Conference on Automatic Fire Detection (AUBE’20), originally scheduled for September 15-17, 2020 in Mulheim an der Ruhr, Germany, has been postponed until September 2021.
- Staff News: FPRF Executive Director, Amanda Kimball was re-appointed to a 2nd term on the SFPE Board of Directors. Amanda was also elevated to Fellow of SFPE. Out of 4,600 SFPE members, there are only 313 fellows.
- Upcoming Events this Fall:
- Virtual Workshop on “Inspection, Testing, and Maintenance (ITM) Data Exchange Model”. (Tentative Date: September 2020; More information forthcoming).
- Virtual Workshop on “Cybersecurity for Fire Protection Systems” (Tentative Date: Oct/Nov 2020; More information forthcoming)
- Virtual Workshop on “Public Safety Small Unmanned Aerial Systems (sUAS) Compliance Training” (Tentative Date: November 2020; More information forthcoming).