This blog was updated on 10/27
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) will host a Considerations for Warehouse Fire Safety webinar on Wednesday, November 4, 2020 at 1:00 p.m. (EDT) for contractors, installers, engineers, facility managers and code officials.
In recent months, we have seen large scale warehouse fires including one at a Redlands, California distribution center being used as an Amazon facility. NFPA research shows that, on average, there are 1,410 warehouse fires annually which result in two deaths, 20 injuries and $159.4 million in direct property damage.
A trio of industry experts will cover some of the key considerations for warehouse fire safety during a roundtable panel discussion moderated by Matt Klaus, NFPA Director of Technical Services, and a highly regarded subject matter expert in his own right. They include:
- James Golinveaux – President & CEO of Viking Group will provide insights on testing, storage and warehousing history
- Tracey Bellamy – Chief Engineering Officer at Telgian will offer engineering and design perspective, as well as ITM information for large enterprises
- Dave Lowrey - Fire Marshal for the City of Boulder will weigh in from an AHJ point of view
At a minimum, the following topics will be addressed during the webinar with plenty of time allotted for questions and answers:
- How warehouses are typically specified and built
- Importance of commodity classification
- ESFR sprinklers – design and limitations
- Management of change
- Importance of ITM
Join us on the 4th for a worthwhile exchange - there will be plenty of time for questions and answers. or tell a colleague suppression related research. Earlier this year, new information on Early Suppression Fast Response (ESFR) sprinklers was posted on the NFPA website because ESFRs are often installed in warehouses to avoid installation of in-rack sprinklers.