Want to be part of something big? As an employee of the National Fire Protection Association, you are working toward truly making a difference all over the world. You play a key role in keeping first responders safe, helping to provide architects with guidelines for building design and safety, providing education to children in schools, and so much more. Employees at NFPA bring a collective passion to work every day as together, they contribute toward solving the fire problem…all while being offered great benefits, including a generous 403(b) match and an on-site fitness center.
Engineers at NFPA do it differently. They oversee the standards development process while working with experts from different professions around the country and the globe. They travel near and far to provide trainings and share their technical knowledge and expertise. They work to ensure that first responders are kept safe, help to provide architects with guidelines for building design and life safety, and work with building owners on inspection and testing procedures for their fire protection systems. They author content for key NFPA handbooks and publications. Until death, injury, property, and economic loss due to fire, electrical and related hazards is eliminated, there is work to do.
A Little Bit About You:
- You hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Fire Protection, or have a mechanical, civil, or structural engineering degree, coupled with a Master’s Degree in Fire Protection Engineering.
- You have 7 - 10 years of technical knowledge of applicability, use and implementation of codes, standards and regulations used in the built environment.
- You are a Project Manager at heart and have proven, exceptional organizational skills.
- You are a skilled facilitator and are able to guide processes and people through highly technical, and sometimes difficult, discussions among committee members.
- You are professional in your demeanor, politically astute, and would represent NFPA in a positive manner whether speaking with co-workers, stakeholders or local and federal officials.
- You are confident in your technical knowledge and abilities, and can convey information in a thorough and correct fashion – and are able to adjust your delivery depending on your audience.
- You are positively curious and want to understand the mission and goals of NFPA, and how you can make an impact as part of our team.
- You own your role and take responsibility for your output, following through, and understand that mistakes happen and can be learned from.
- You are up for traveling up to 35% of the time.
The Nitty Gritty:
- Manage highly complex technical committee activities and projects through the NFPA document development and revision process in accordance with the regulations governing NFPA documentation.
- Assisting NFPA to identify and address needs in the disability community through work in our codes and standards, public education, content platforms and other areas through management of an advisory committee.
- Oversee and assist with content development and review of product development activities acting as a subject matter/technical expert.
- Deliver technical content via field service and outreach to stakeholders and respond to stakeholder needs through advisory services.
- Represent NFPA as a liaison with federal, state, and local officials in support of their adoption of NFPA codes and standards and works with other standards development organizations to coordinate related standards activities.
- Participate in cross-functional activities to provide technical review and input within your area of expertise.
Apply for this Job