The Vice President, National Fire Service Activities - Government Relations reports to the Senior Vice President of Government Relations. This position is responsible for developing, coordinating, directing and implementing programs related to ICC’s relationship with the national fire service and the adoption of the International Fire Code and International Wildland-Interface Code. Responsibilities also include supporting the State and Local Regional Managers with fire service relationship building and fire code adoptions and to ensure the successful completion of the goals and objectives of the International Code Council (ICC), especially as they apply to fire service activities and Government Relations.
- Assume a leadership role in positioning ICC, including products and services, to better serve core constituencies, principally the fire service agencies for whom model codes, standards and evaluation reports are developed
- Develop and maintain strong relationships with ICC Government Relations regional managers, fire service organizations, members and chapters,
- Manage the Memoranda of Understanding (MOU) between ICC and national fire service organizations including NASFM, NVFC and IAFC.
- Build national coalitions of fire code officials, stakeholders and interested parties to further the goals of the ICC, promote the IFC and the organization’s relationship with the fire service community
- Promote ICC and the use of the IFC with Federal Agencies (FEMA, NFA, OSHA, CSB, NIST, DOD)
- Using ICC-provided software, monitor Federal, state and local legislation and rule-making to identify and address fire-related issues. Assist the State and Local GR staff with monitoring state and local government legislation and regulatory activities related to the fire code/fire safety issues, analyzing impact on ICC, develop and present testimony that supports organizational objectives
- Function as liaison and outreach coordinator for fire service membership activities; coordinate and integrate the GR program with other ICC activities, including the utilization of other staff expertise as needed to augment the program; support the GR Legislative Team
- Make recommendations for the development and implementation of programs related to national fire service activities and the adoption of the IFC and IWUIC.
- Provide staff support as Secretariat to the Fire Service Membership Council
- Make presentations to fire chiefs, fire code officials and fire marshals on all aspects of the ICC
- Represent ICC at fire service member meetings, conferences and trade shows; Promote Building Safety Month with the fire service
- Evaluate existing programs, services and procedures and recommend changes as necessary to support the goals of the ICC
- Analyze information and recommend courses of action to be taken
- Establish and implement effective internal and external communications
- Provide regular reporting of activities
- Prepare annual cost center budget.
- Manage own cost center budget and track expenditures to ensure compliance with approved budget
- Considerable Travel Required
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Skills and Education / Experience / Location:
- Ability to Travel up to 50% throughout the United States
- At least 7 years of experience in a leadership role in a state or national fire service organization or ICC fire service chapter; Fire Chief or Assistant Chief/Fire Marshal preferred
- At least 2 years of experience in policy or advocacy related fields preferred
- Expertise in the technical requirements and administration of the IFC
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office, and proven ability to master other computer software.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- A proven history of delivering on commitments
- Patience, understanding, independence, professionalism, reliability
- The ability to use productively the knowledge, experience, and efforts of others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Fire Protection Engineering Degree preferred
Please contact Gina Tenuta for all inquiries and resume submissions: firstname.lastname@example.org