Where did the summer go? For most of us, the month of August has just flown by! But here we are approaching Labor Day weekend and NFPA knows that many of you, like us, are getting ready for outdoor parties and lots of grilling!
As the host of the event, you want to make sure your guests are entertained, get plenty of good food to eat and enjoy the company of friends and family, right? Well, why not include fire safety in that list of priorities! Here are five key tips that will never steer you wrong when it comes to proper grill use:
- Place your grill well away from the home, deck railings and out from under eaves and overhanging branches
- Always make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting it
- Never leave your grill unattended!
- Keep children and pets, and anything that can burn like food wrappers, an oven mitt or towel, at least 3-feet away from open flames and the grill
- Keep your grill clean by removing grease or fat buildup from the grills and in trays below the grill
Want an easier way to remember these tips? Go ahead and download our free checklist and then place it right next to the list of groceries you'll need for the big event. Having the hard copy is a sure way you'll refer to it as you start preparing for your guests to arrive.
And if your Labor Day plans take you away from home, NFPA provides great information on portable grilling including tips and reminders about using charcoal and staying fire safe in places like campgrounds, at tailgating parties and other outdoor venues.
So wherever your plans take you the weekend of September 3, remember, fire safety is one of the best gifts you can give yourself and your guests. Let NFPA help you, and enjoy the holiday, everyone!