The most popular campfire treat is recognized each year on August 10th during National S’mores Day. This delicious, gooey treat is loved by millions across the United States. Before you start preparing this scrumptious indulgence, review these precautions:
- Before setting up a campfire, be sure it’s permitted.
- If it is permitted, keep the campfire at least 25 feet away from any structure and anything that can burn.
- Attend to the campfire at all times and watch children when the fire is burning.
- If making s’mores with children, monitor them so that they don’t get burned.
- Keep a campfire small. It will be easier to control.
- Always have a hose, bucket of water, or shovel and dirt or sand nearby to put out the fire.
Check out our Campfire Safety tip sheet to keep your s'mores celebration and other activities around the campfire safe.