In Fall 2015, NFPA, in collaboration with other national stakeholders, conducted the 4th Needs Assessment of the U.S. Fire Service (examples of the historical reports). To this end, Christina Holcroft and I will be making a presentation (M 37) at the upcoming NFPA Conference and Expo 11:00 to 12:30pm on Monday at the Breakers KL room (see attached presentation).
NFPA would like your input in how to distribute and package this rich source of information by increasing the utility of the information at the federal, state and local levels. NFPA believes that 'data drives decisions' and the 4th Needs Assessment of the U.S. Fire Service is a platform that offers great potential due to the rich data that has been collected. Please offer your insights in how NFPA should make this information accessible and available to you and other fire service stakeholders.
Here are some questions to help stimulate this discussion forum:
- What part of the Needs Assessment Report is the most useful to you?
- How do you use the trend data?
- What suggestions do you have for improving the report?
- How should the data be presented (e.g. reports, graphic user interface etc.)?
- What resolution (scale) is preferred (national, regional, state or local)?
- Should the information be packaged in a comprehensive report or should there be multiple stand-alone reports on the various sections like:
- Personnel & Capabilities
- Facilities & Apparatus
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Ability to Handle Unusually Challenging Incidents
- Communications and Technology