Presidents Message January 2018.docx

File uploaded by ray.walker on Jan 9, 2018
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

President’s Message (1-2018)

Welcome to 2018! As you read this 2017 will be in the history books and we will be in the opening weeks of 2018. Your Executive Board has completed another year, our last meeting of 2017 was held in December at the NFPA Offices at Quincy, Mass. The Executive Board had an opportunity to hear from various members of the NFPA staff who provided us updates to NFPA research, code work, public education efforts and the June C&E. These conversations provided us with a look ahead into the 2018 activities of the NFPA. Also, in advance of this meeting I met with NFPA President Jim Pauley in October. I am pleased to tell our membership that President Pauley is in support of IFMA and its programs, appreciates all that IFMA members do not only for NFPA but all that IFMA members do every day for the communities and organizations that all of you serve.

Presently on the Executive Board's list of topics of attention are the continuing evolution of mobile fuel deliveries and concierge trash services i.e. where trash is placed in the means of egress of multi-family housing for overnight pickup. These seem to reflect our emerging culture with a need for personal services without any need for action on our part. These and other topics, such as the evolving use of flammable refrigerants, will be open for discussion during IFMA activities at the NFPA C&E.

Speaking of the C&E I want to ask all of you to mark your calendars for the NFPA C&E in June 2018, to be held in Las Vegas. The C&E will be June 11-14 and preceding the C&E IFMA will hold a meeting of the Executive Board on Saturday the 9th, followed by the annual Chapter Presidents Meeting and the IFMA Business Meeting and a Standards and Codes forum on Sunday the 10th. Our Executive Secretary Steven Sawyer will be sending out more information concerning the activities of the 10th. The Business meeting and the forum are open to all IFMA members and it is your opportunity to participate in the operation of IFMA, to be heard on code matters and problems facing all of us. The Chapter President's meeting is by invitation for the Chapter Presidents or their designee and it is their opportunity to speak not only with each other but also with the Executive Board. I urge all of you to participate, IFMA is your organization. Please remember that NFPA financially supports the travel of the Chapter President to ensure each chapter has representation at the Chapter Meeting as well as the IFMA membership meeting that follows.

The Executive Board anticipates rolling out for delivery in 2018 a 2 day Management Institute, this will a training opportunity focused on the administrative and business aspects of the operation of fire marshals and fire prevention offices. Also, related to training the Speakers database is available, the data base lists vetted speakers and trainers on a variety of topics of interest to all of us.

A number of activities took place in 2017. Throughout 2017 the IFMA Executive Board participated in code discussions and collaborated with our sister organizations during the Technical Sessions in Boston, provided representation for our members on a number of Technical Committees including the further development of professional standards and job competencies, and had members working with the NFPA Research Foundation. IFMA thru the Executive Board also participated in the State Fire Marshals Forum and continued advocating fire and life safety as concerns mobile food trucks and fireworks.

Outcomes