Presidents Message summer 2018.docx

File uploaded by Raymond Walker on Apr 5, 2018
Version 1Show Document
  • View in full screen mode

President’s Message

Hello and greetings from your President, as I write this the calendar says spring but I am watching it snow here in Connecticut. This reminds me that while some things are constant (the calendar) others are always changing (the weather).

This is certainly also true in the fire marshal community and with IFMA. This June will complete my term as President and I believe by all of us (Executive Board, the IFMA Chapters and membership) working together we have tackled many of the challenges facing us and provided, along the way, valuable and useful services to our members and the public. While serving IFMA I had the opportunity to travel to some of the Chapter events including Texas, Michigan, Oregon, and the New England Chapter and meeting our membership.

For example the Executive Board sponsors a vetted speakers list, has brought forward and delivered, in Virginia and Oregon, an updated 2 day Management Institute, responded to safety concerns with food trucks and within the newly emerging marijuana industry. There has also been work on Technical Committees related to such timely topics as Community Risk Reduction and the need for our professional standards and qualifications as well as projects of the Research Foundation including a study on the use of CLT (cross laminated timber) building materials and tall wood buildings.

Also, this June will of course be the annual NFPA C&E and built around C&E will be several important IFMA activities including a meeting of the Executive Board, a Chapter Presidents Meeting, the IFMA Business Meeting and an open discussion of hot topics concerning codes and standards and other issues impacting our craft. There will also be opportunities for networking and fellowship for all members and for the leadership of the various Sections of NFPA. An important NFPA function, sometimes overlooked by the general membership, is the Technical Meeting which follows the educational sessions and the Expo. The Technical Meeting is an important part of the code adoption and code change process and participation is important.

Finally, as I conclude my service as President I want to thank everyone for their support and to remind everyone that we need to always do our best to make IFMA the best “go to entity” possible serving the needs of the fire marshal community. We can do this by staying true to our mission “…to aid in the preservation of life and property by advocating, promoting, and providing leadership in the prevention or mitigation of fire, explosions, and other related hazardous conditions.”

Outcomes