Forums

2 updates since last visit
killerbabe79
Whats the minimum size, general - use snap switch, for a 1 1/2 HP, single phase, 230 V, AC Motor ? I have searched everywhere in the codes. Not sure how to get the correct calculation. Residential Electrician, apprentice
in Electrical
grady_g
#250.122(G) Equipment Grounding Conductors for Feeder Taps   250.122(G) says  Equipment grounding conductors run with feeder taps shall not be smaller than shown in Table 250.122 based on the rating of the overcurrent device ahead of the feeder but shall not be required to be larger than the tap conductors.  This is easy to comply with when… (Show more)
in Electrical
chiefns830
I have two, large commercial chillers.  One will operate at any given time.  The designer is attempting to use an ATS to switch between which chiller will operate.  I'm told that there will be a "remote switch" inside the building that will activate the ATS to switch over to the other chiller.   I'm asking if this is a listing violation.  An ATS… (Show more)
in Electrical
chiefns830
A dwelling has an attached garage. The garage receptacle must be GFCI protected if:   It is a 30-amp, single phase receptacle It is a 20-amp, single phase receptacle It is rated 60-amp, 240-volt, and within 6-foot of a sink a and b only b and c only b only
in Electrical
c.valvo
Lightning protection systems NFPA 780 and NFPA 70 article 250.60 and 250.106   I have a design with has multiple towers on these towers the manufacturer has lighting strike protection, the tower is aluminum they have supplied a 5 foot ground round a 6 foot piece of #6 insulated copper wire and connectors to attach to the structure and ground rod.… (Show more)
in Electrical
michael.howard
  Can you please help me regarding the 2017 NEC article 406.12 (2). Guest rooms and guest suites of hotels and motels and Exception (2). My understanding of the article, all 15 and 20 amp receptacles shall be tamper resistant. The owners are wanting to use Exception (2), receptacles that are part of a luminaire or appliance.   The electrical… (Show more)
in Electrical
eslamnabil927
Dear NFBA team, I’m an architect with about 5 years of work experience, and I would like to ask about an authorized certification about the NFBA specially if there is a special course for architects, unfortunately I didn’t understand the information on the website, but I think there is an online course, and there is an exam, can you please send me… (Show more)
in Building & Life Safety
craig.cummings
As a healthcare organization we are concerned about the transition to flammable HC refrigerants in refrigeration as mandated by the EPA.  These new units come with a risk of fire or explosion label and NFPA101-2012 6.2.2.4 appears to indicate that explosion potential moves these items into a high hazard category requiring additional protective… (Show more)
in Building & Life Safety
jeff.churchill
I am wondering about the applicability of NFPA 30A. Is the standard intended to apply only to automotive repair facilities (e.g., dealerships, lube shop/Firestone, etc.)  or does it include heavy machinery (e.g., construction equipment, bull dozers, back hoes, tracked vehicles) repair facilities?  There is no clear definition of what is meant by… (Show more)
in Industrial Hazards
jmubarak
Please clarify if a fire damper used for a smoke management system or air handling be considered as weakest element for a room protected by clean agent system while evaluating peak pressure during an integrity test. Please give me relevant supporting details if available. 
in Fire Protection Systems
tgammonphd
Say for example, you have a 120/240 V, 2 pole, 20 A breaker. Does the NEC allow this breaker to serve 2 separate 120 V circuits?
in Electrical
talaypt
Click to view contentDear Expert! I have seen many places are adopting the practice of using the high-expansion foam for their impounding pond which take the spill of LPG from the sphere tank.  As I go through NFPA 11, it states as below quoted; As per my understanding, there is a risk from vapor cloud formation under foam blanket and reignition. Hence I still… (Show more)
in Fire Protection Systems
Load more items