Forums

Announcement 1 Site Maintenance Announcement - New Xchange is Coming!
Announcement:Site Maintenance Announcement - New Xchange is Coming!
Abu Ismaeel
1. As per NFPA 20 "4.7.7.1 The net pump shutoff (churn) pressure plus the maximum static suction pressure, adjusted for elevation, shall not exceed the pressure for which the system components are rated. 4.7.7.2* Pressure relief valves and pressure regulating devices in the fire pump installation shall not be used as a means to meet the… (Show more)
in Fire Protection Systems
niranjan.boteju
As per the NFPA 2001, we shall be able to design an IG-541 Inert Gas system with a discharge time set at 60 seconds for class A & C fires. The standard allows increasing the discharge time up to 120 seconds for Class A and C fires. In reality, how do we achieve a 60-second discharge for such a system? Are we increasing the number of inert gas… (Show more)
in Building & Life Safety
diogofse24@hotmail.com
Dear NFPA Community   My client has 9 fire pumps because the higher water requirement is 4900 gpm. The capacity for each pump is:   a) Two Jockey Pumps (Q: 100 gpm) b) Five Electric Motor Pumps (Q: 1000 gpm), Total flow: 5000 gpm c) Two Diesel Engine Pumps (Q: 2500 gpm), Total flow: 5000 gpm   The fire system is composed of one flow meter for 2500… (Show more)
ananthars90
we have a diesel and electric pump operating in auto mode. As per NFPA 20, the pressure setting for the pump shall be churn pressure+ static pressure. while doing the actual performance test, the churn pressure( zero flow) was found to be 170 psi. while as per the manufacturer pump curve, the pump shut off( at 140% of rated head) is 105.5 psi… (Show more)
stephen.rinaldi
Click to view contentRequesting information about potential problems with fire suppression systems and the use of  Air Pear systems installed in large open buildings. I feel that the destratification could cause a delay in fire sprinklers activating as well as the system can cause horizontal fire spread and could overrun the suppression systems. I feel that the… (Show more)
fm4802
A vent is required in a sprinkler system at a high point to allow trapped air to be exhausted from the system, thus having less oxygen for the metal piping to react with. Thinking "out of the box" here, would it be helpful to fill the piping first with nitrogen? When it's filled, then one could charge the system with water until it comes out the… (Show more)
josephaclaros
Click to view contentDo I really need to reflect the adjusted flow and pressure based on actual speed in the Fire pump test report? or we just need to reflect the actual data we gathered.   One of our consultant show the calculation for adjusted flow and pressure. please see below figure:     Thank you in advance!   Have a great day.
gburnett63@gmail.com
I am looking for the interpretation of NFPA 96 Chap 14 for solid fuel cooking. I understand the requirements regarding size of the fire box and the installation of a water hose. My question is, Is the hose used for fire fighting purposes or is it intended for cooling of the ashes after the day is done and prior to the removal of the ashes outside… (Show more)
Abu Ismaeel
As per NFPA 20, it stataes that  "14.5.1.4 Field Retest Results. 14.5.1.4.1 The field retest results shall be compared to the original pump performance as indicated by the fire pump manufacturer’s original factory-certified test curve, whenever it is available. 14.5.1.4.2 The field retest results shall meet or exceed the performance… (Show more)
apurvadave
Click to view contentI have monopole cell tower. The tower has DC conductor cables that run from equipment on ground to cell tower antennas, RRUs, etc up top. Kind of like this: or like this in web link below:   https://wirelessestimator.com/wifi/images/uploads/Guying%20Monopole.jpg Does anyone here know do those DC conductor cables that run up to tower to… (Show more)
in Electrical
Load more items