Blogs

rsolomon
Click to view content  I just returned from Paris this past Saturday after a week of meetings with the ISO committee that deals with Sustainable Cities and Communities.  Part of the goal of this committee is to look at a range of critical issues such as resilience, community risk reduction, smart city concepts and transportation options, and the ways in which we… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
jsisco
Click to view contentPhoto Courtesy of Andysmith248 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]   As a staff engineer I often get the question through our technical question service (TQS) if a smoke control system is required. Although there are a few times where NFPA 101®  prescribes the use of a smoke control system, for the most part it is a… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
kristinbigda
Click to view contentHello – Happy Friday!  Today’s post comes to you from Brian O'Connor, Fire Protection Engineer in the Fire Protection Systems Department, at NFPA.  Special thanks to Brian for his contribution to this blog while I am out on maternity leave, and discussing one of the many important subjects addressed in the Fire Code.   Looking for information on… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
faithberry
Click to view contentThe American Planning Association (APA) has just published a new report that is available at no cost to download (though users have to create a guest account and password to log in), thanks to the sponsorship of the USDA Forest Service as well as state and private forestry programs. The report specifically looks at the wildfire-related risks faced… (Show more)
in Fire Break
dvigstol
Click to view contentSpring is right around the corner and after the winter that many of us have experienced, especially in the northern regions of this country, I know I’m not alone when I say that it can’t come soon enough! The snow will melt, the grass will grow, trees will bud, and people will flock to the water. But there is a hidden danger - electricity - in… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
gharrington
Click to view content  I still refer to the building rehabilitation chapter of NFPA 101, Life Safety Code, as the “new Chapter 43.” It’s been in the Code since the 2006 edition; that’s something like 13 years. I guess it’s not so new anymore. Nonetheless, when I teach NFPA’s three-day 2018 Life Safety Code Essentials seminar, I sometimes encounter some confusion in… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
jrodowicz
Click to view contentOn April 10, 1935, the Massachusetts fire departments of Weymouth and Braintree were called upon to fight a large fire that swept over Weymouth Landing after a gas explosion early in the morning.     At the time of the incident, there had been a suspected gas leak. The manager of the store was heading to the basement to inspect the leak at… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
lcapland
Click to view contentPhoto Credit Associated Press “Please, no more talk.” In a recent opinion piece for The Chronicle Herald, former president and CEO of the Greater Vancouver Home Builders’ Association, Peter Simpson, is adamant that the time for stalling on home fire sprinklers has passed, and the case for them has been “doused long enough.”  Citing the 12 Nova… (Show more)
in FSI
amandakimball
Oxygen reduction (or hypoxic) systems are being used in warehouse facilities as an alternative to sprinkler protection. The basic principle of operation is to displace the ambient oxygen in an enclosed environment with one or more nitrogen generators.   The Research Foundation facilitated the project “Review of Oxygen Reduction Systems for… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
jrodowicz
Click to view contentLate in the morning on Friday, April 20, 1928, three explosions shook the property at the Alexander Industries plant in Engelwood, Colorado. At least eleven people lost their lives due to this tragedy. The cause of the explosions was undetermined at the time, but it was widely believed that the ignition source was from an electric motor that… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
debbiebaio
Click to view contentThe updated 2019 edition of the NFPA Glossary of Terms (GOT) has been published and is available for free. The GOT is a list of the defined terms in NFPA's published codes, standards, guides and recommended practices. Over 16,900 terms are listed alphabetically and assembled into a free PDF available on the NFPA website. The document is used in a… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
lcapland
Click to view contentNFPA's Bob Duval, Northeast Regional Director and Fire Investigator (right) presented Fire Chief Robert Lefebvre (left) with the Bringing Safety Home Award at the Maine Fire Chiefs Association Conference in March.  National Fire Protection Association’s (NFPA) Fire Sprinkler Initiative and the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition (HFSC) awarded Fire… (Show more)
in FSI
Load more items