Blogs

michelesteinberg
Click to view contentCould you use a little financial help for a  Wildfire Community Preparedness Day project?  Don't delay, apply today!  Get funding for a project or event on May 2 during NFPA's national campaign, thanks to generous support from State Farm. The application period for $500 project awards closes in just one week, on Friday, February 28, 2020. What… (Show more)
in Fire Break
ccoache
Click to view contentSection 130.5(H) has specific requirements for equipment labels when there are electrical hazards present. For some reason, users of NFPA 70E, Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace have trouble applying Exception No. 1 (compliance with a previous edition) and the requirement that the data be reviewed for accuracy within 5 years. Looking… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
michelesteinberg
Click to view contentRegister now for NFPA's Assessing Structure Ignition Potential from Wildfire two-day classroom training in Las Vegas, Nevada, on March 12-13. This class will provide valuable skills and knowledge to help you in your wildfire safety mission.   Nevada, California,  and other western states have experienced large, destructive wildfires in the past… (Show more)
in Fire Break
lorrainecarli
Click to view contentThe Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association (MCOPA) urged release from committee and passage of HB 2027 – An Act relative to enhanced fire protection in new one and two family dwellings citing its ability to save the lives of the public, firefighters, and police officers.   HB 2027 is a local option bill and would allow communities the… (Show more)
in FSI
dvigstol
Click to view content  The 2020 edition of NFPA 70: National Electrical Code (NEC) hit the shelves back in September of 2019 and with its release came a sweeping change to the requirements for ground-fault circuit interrupter protection for personnel in residential type occupancies or dwelling units. Communicating the ins and outs of what this means for dwelling unit… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
jonhart
Click to view contentMy colleague, Robert Solomon, provides insights on fire safety and evacuation plans to I Advance Senior Care for the benefit of owners, executives, administrators, and directors of nursing at assisted living communities, skilled nursing facilities, post-acute facilities, and continuing care retirement communities.    In part, Solomon explains… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
lorrainecarli
Click to view content    New Paltz, New York, a small town in the southeastern part of the state with about 14,000 people, took a giant step forward to better protect their community from fire last month by requiring fire sprinklers in all new residential construction.   Mayor Tim Rogers was quoted in the Daily Freeman as saying, “The belief is that if there are… (Show more)
in FSI
rsolomon
Click to view content  The recent issue of NFPA Journal featured an article about the numerous deadly fires in health care occupancies, predominantly hospitals, that continue to occur throughout other parts of the world. Had that story been written in the 1960s, it could have included the United States, but we have been fortunate to have not experienced such fires or… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
lisabraxton
Click to view contentBeginning next month the Safety Source newsletter will a different look and feel. NFPA is merging all of its newsletters into one monthly email—NFPA Network. You’ll receive information based on your areas of interest. We will continue to bring you timely resources each month to support your educational efforts. We hope you’ll like out fresh, new… (Show more)
in Safety Source
megan.fitzgerald-mcgowan
Click to view content  One of the things I love about the Firewise USA program is how it encourages people to work together and can bring about partnerships that might not have been considered in the past.  State and federal agencies collaborate with local fire districts, conservation districts, fire safe councils, and many other organizations that have the capacity… (Show more)
in Fire Break
gharrington
Click to view contentHow did I get here? When you read an average of a half-dozen home fire death stories every day for a month, it changes you. That’s not hyperbole; I did, and it changed me. At the conclusion of 2019,I wrote in my #101Wednesdays blog about the year and decade in review in terms of life safety from fire.While there were several significant advances,… (Show more)
in FSI
cathylongley
Click to view content  As the world’s leading information and knowledge resource on fire, electrical and related hazards, our public affairs department gets asked all kinds of questions. For example, this week’s media inquiries included requests for NFPA insight on the Australia wildfire; inept fire protection systems in LA; evacuation practices for disabled… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
kristinbigda
Click to view content  So far, 2020 has seen several noteworthy high-rise building fires.  On Wednesday, January 29, a fire in a 25-story residential high-rise in Los Angeles left at least 11 people injured, one fatally. The fire was said to have begun on the 6th floor and spread to the 7th floor of the non-sprinklered building. Ironically, a fire that erupted on the… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
Load more items