Blogs

vholub
Click to view contentKeeping the responders safe is one of the primary focuses of NFPA, and to help them do their work more effectively, the Standards Council has decided to consolidate more than 100 emergency responder standards into 38 key documents.   The consolidation plan applies to current 114 NFPA, Emergency Response and Responder Safety (ERRS) standards,… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
faithberry
Click to view contentThe American Planning Association (APA) has just published a new report that is available at no cost to download (though users have to create a guest account and password to log in), thanks to the sponsorship of the USDA Forest Service as well as state and private forestry programs. The report specifically looks at the wildfire-related risks faced… (Show more)
in Fire Break
david.hague
  In my recent NFPA® Live session I covered the challenges of managing the high pressures needed in the standpipe and sprinkler systems in high-rise buildings. This included various techniques related to the following: moving water to the upper floors of a high-rise building, helping prevent exposure to firefighters and system components from the… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
andrewklock
Click to view content  This past Friday evening, eight firefighters were injured when an energy storage system (ESS), which was connected to a solar panel array and operated by Arizona Public Service Company (APS), was involved in a fire and subsequently, an explosion. According to media sources, responders were called to the scene in response to a smoke condition… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
gharrington
Click to view contentIn what seems like a continuous string of tragedies (earthquakes in Mexico; hurricanes in Texas, Florida, and the Caribbean; and the deadly Las Vegas mass shooting), Northern California is now in the grip of devastating wildfires, which have left at least 17 people dead and another 180 missing – a sad, ironic twist to 2017’s Fire Prevention Week.… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
faithberry
Click to view contentA one-day hackathon is being hosted on the 42 Silicon Valley Campus in recognition of Wildfire Community Preparedness Day on May 4, 2019. The goal of a hackathon is to get computer programmers, graphic designers, interface designers, project managers, and others together in one place to create software or other functioning projects for a specific… (Show more)
in Fire Break
lisabraxton
Click to view content  Each year, Earth Day (April 22) marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement in the 1970s. Now, more than 5,000 environmental groups in more than 180 countries reach out to hundreds of millions of people in a show of support for environmental protection. Children can do their part to protect their environment with the… (Show more)
in Safety Source
kristinbigda
Click to view content  Since the historic fire at Notre Dame this past Monday, I have found myself fascinated with the flood of analyses and photos and information about the fire, the building design and construction, its history and a global desire to rebuild.   I am confident that for the weeks and months to come we will continue to see and hear information as… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
jrodowicz
Click to view contentLate in the morning on Friday, April 20, 1928, three explosions shook the property at the Alexander Industries plant in Engelwood, Colorado. At least eleven people lost their lives due to this tragedy. The cause of the explosions was undetermined at the time, but it was widely believed that the ignition source was from an electric motor that… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
jsisco
Click to view contentPhoto Courtesy of Andysmith248 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)]   As a staff engineer I often get the question through our technical question service (TQS) if a smoke control system is required. Although there are a few times where NFPA 101®  prescribes the use of a smoke control system, for the most part it is a… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
jmontes
Click to view contentA national proclaimed recognition week (second week in April) was established in 1991 honor the 9-1-1 Public Safety Telecommunicators. This year, April 14 - 20 is dedicated to the men & women who serve as public safety call takers & dispatchers in our 9-1-1 centers. We at the NFPA thank all who stay on the line and help us in our times of greatest… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
rsolomon
Click to view content  I just returned from Paris this past Saturday after a week of meetings with the ISO committee that deals with Sustainable Cities and Communities.  Part of the goal of this committee is to look at a range of critical issues such as resilience, community risk reduction, smart city concepts and transportation options, and the ways in which we… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
dvigstol
Click to view contentSpring is right around the corner and after the winter that many of us have experienced, especially in the northern regions of this country, I know I’m not alone when I say that it can’t come soon enough! The snow will melt, the grass will grow, trees will bud, and people will flock to the water. But there is a hidden danger - electricity - in… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
Load more items