Blogs

2 updates since last visit
gharrington
Click to view contentProtection of vertical openings is a subject about which we receive a fair number of questions here at NFPA. In general, floors need to provide a smoke-resistant barrier between stories in a building to prevent smoke from migrating vertically and affecting occupants on stories other than the story of fire origin. A vertical opening is a “hole in… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
susanmckelvey
Click to view content  When I host Thanksgiving, it’s a whirlwind. I’ve got multiple dishes to prepare in a very short window of time; I want my house to look welcoming, festive, and clean; and at some point (usually about 45 minutes before my guests arrive) I frantically realize that I still need to take shower and make myself look at least somewhat presentable.  … (Show more)
in NFPA Today
debbiebaio
NFPA 70®, National Electrical Code®, is accepting public input for the Annual 2022 revision cycle (2023 edition).   To submit public input through NFPA's online submission system, go directly to the NFPA 70 document information page or use the search feature on the List of NFPA codes & standards. Once on the NFPA 70 page, select "Submit a Public… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
faithberry
Click to view contentWildfires not only impact the environment and human infrastructure, but can also create long term health issues for first responders, residents, and workers due to smoke emitted during the fire. The residues from burned material can also affect people involved in post-fire clean-up efforts. Tips to stay healthier during and after a wildfire event… (Show more)
in Fire Break
lcapland
Click to view contentThe Phoenix Society for Burn Survivors is accepting applications for its 2020 Phoenix Fellowship program. These 11-month service-learning positions give early-career professionals the opportunity to gain professional experience as well as build a larger understanding of the Society's organizational functioning and partnerships.    The Phoenix… (Show more)
in FSI
lcapland
Click to view contentIf you were thumbing through your social media feeds over the last few days, you might have seen it: with a little humor and a great hat, Richard Trethewey from This Old House demonstrated how sprinklers work in a video that was posted on the show’s Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter pages.   All lightheartedness aside, in the minute-long clip,… (Show more)
in FSI
jsargent
Click to view contentEven with the completion of the 2020 NEC, NFPA continues to receive a lot of great questions regarding the key changes to this edition. That’s why I’m pleased to invite you to participate in our upcoming webinar on December 4, 2019 where I’ll examine the issues and address your questions.   Like with most webinars, there will be a “formal” part of… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
sranganathan
Click to view content  The ongoing push toward sustainability of refrigeration systems requires the adoption of low global warming potential (GWP) refrigerants to meet the shift in environmental regulations. In 2016, nearly 200 countries signed the Kigali Agreement, a legally binding accord focused on the reduction of hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs) - the hydrogen, carbon,… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
debbiebaio
The following two proposed Tentative Interim Amendments (TIAs) for NFPA 59A, Standard for the Production, Storage, and Handling of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG); and NFPA 130, Standard for Fixed Guideway Transit and Passenger Rail Systems, are being published for public review and comment: NFPA 59A, proposed TIA No. 1471, referencing 5.3.2.12.1… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
luciandeaton
Click to view contentIt should bring a moment of pause when Australians describe their fire threat as “catastrophic”. This is the forecast warning for Tuesday in eastern-Australia, as high winds and temperatures above 96 degrees Fahrenheit are expected to fan numerous fires that have already brought life and structure losses.  An anticipated afternoon southerly wind… (Show more)
in Fire Break
lcapland
Click to view content  The third annual Fire Safety and Carbon Monoxide Awareness and Prevention Summit was held this week in Lebanon, NH. The summit brought together fire and life safety professionals in New Hampshire and Vermont to explore ways to prevent deaths and injuries in the bi-state region.   This year’s program included a live side-by-side burn and… (Show more)
in FSI
jwilmot
Click to view contentNational STEM/STEAM Day, celebrated November 8 this year, was established to help students recognize and advance in the fields of science, technology, engineering, art, and math. Females at NFPA working in STEM/STEAM roles celebrate this mission year-round by impressing industry stakeholders, judging science fairs, mentoring kids, developing… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
lisabraxton
Click to view contentThe staff, instructors and aides of the Delaware State Fire School (DSFS) had a busy schedule during Fire Prevention Week season. Beginning in early September through early November it is estimated that DSFS operated 115 programs in fire safety, school tours, injury prevention, and displays. Programs took place across the state. Program… (Show more)
in Safety Source
Load more items