Blogs

susanmckelvey
Click to view content  As the public has largely remained at home in response to COVID-19, NFPA has anticipated that higher-than-normal use of home cooking, heating, and electrical equipment would likely result in an increase of associated home fires.   An online story posted yesterday on WTOP News, a Washington D.C.-based radio station, reinforced these concerns,… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
susanmckelvey
  As the public has largely remained at home in response to COVID-19, NFPA has anticipated that higher-than-normal use of home cooking, heating, and electrical equipment would likely result in an increase of associated home fires.   An online story posted yesterday on WTOP News, a Washington D.C.-based radio station, reinforced these concerns,… (Show more)
luciandeaton
Click to view contentJim Pauley, President and CEO of NFPA, has a great blog about the new NFPA Network e-newsletter that our previous subscribers to the monthly FireBreak now receive.  Jim explains that the new, “NFPA Network aims to deliver the content you want and need, while at the same time providing additional insight into the broader fire and life safety issues… (Show more)
in Fire Break
kellyransdell
Click to view content  With Covid-19 dominating the headlines, there have been some surprising trends below the surface. One of those is the buy out of chicks across the United States. According to a recent New York Times article, for the next few weeks, baby chickens will be nearly impossible to find. Each spring, feed stores and farm supply stores stock baby chicks… (Show more)
in Safety Source
jesseroman
Click to view content  A new NFPA Journal Podcast examining crisis standards of care is out now. Listen and subscribe today wherever you get your podcasts.   The United States now has more Covid-19 cases than anywhere in the world and in many places demand for EMS services is far exceeding the current resources of our health care and EMS system. One solution that… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
kristinbigda
Click to view contentToday I am packing my bags for a week of committee meetings in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.  Next week, the Safety to Life and Building Code occupancy Technical Committees will be holding their Second Draft meetings. Eight different committees will meet to develop the Second Draft of NFPA 101, Life Safety Code and NFPA 5000, Building Construction and… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
debbiebaio
During today's NFPA Technical Meeting in Boston, the following action has taken place on NFPA 5000®, Building Construction and Safety Code®   5000-1 Motion to Accept Committee Comment No. 1002 passed. 5000-2 Motion to Accept Committee Comment No. 1001 failed. 5000-3 Motion to Reject Second Revision No. 3004 was not pursued. 5000-4 Motion to… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
tracyvecchiarelli
Click to view contentPart of my job includes answering questions from NFPA members on our codes and standards. Since many jurisdictions adopt a combination of NFPA and IBC codes, I often get questions about NFPA requirements, but in IBC terms. This quick guide I created helps me remember which IBC groups correspond to the NFPA 101 occupancy types and vise versa. Hope… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
vboutin
Click to view contentA fundamental concept of model building codes, fire codes, and life safety codes is that a means of egress is designed to accommodate all occupants of a building. Knowing how to determine the total occupant load of a building is an integral part in determining if the building meets that basic concept. It can be difficult to estimate how many… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
rsolomon
Click to view content  With an anticipated surge of COVID-19 patients in communities nationwide, health care locations are being modified to provide more beds, existing buildings are being repurposed, and temporary structures are being put into service to meet impending demands. In response, NFPA has created two immediate resources to help health care engineers,… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
dvigstol
Click to view contentAs of December 2019, our world has forever changed. A global pandemic has much of world in lockdown hoping to stem the spread of COVID-19 by practicing “social distancing.” Some of us have seen a reduction in our workload at the moment, while still others, who, in essential service roles, are putting themselves on the front lines every day working… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
cathylongley
Click to view content  As the coronavirus dominates news reports, conversations, video chats, and social media threads - most people are reaching their saturation point.   The pandemic took hold in the US, just as much of the country was emerging from winter hibernation – a time typically spent watching TV or staying current on Netflix. With government restrictions,… (Show more)
in NFPA Today
kbreed
While we owe an immeasurable debt of gratitude to our healthcare workers, first responders, and grocery store employees in this war against COVID-19, we should also offer a tip of the hat to the data scientists working in the background. If you’re a nerd (and proud of it) like me, then you know it has been impossible not to be fascinated by all… (Show more)
Load more items