Journal NOW: Poll—Share your experience with Airbnb or other short-term rental services

Poll created by averzoni Employee on Jul 9, 2018

According to a study published in May, many properties rented on Airbnb.com in the United States lack basic fire safety features such as smoke and carbon monoxide (CO) alarms. In cities like Austin, Texas, as many as 63 percent of Airbnb properties lack CO alarms, the study found.
Inspired by this research, as well as one woman's firsthand account of a frightening Airbnb stay in Canada in 2014, my latest feature article in NFPA Journal explores the complicated regulatory environment of short-term rental properties, which have grown immensely in popularity over the past several years. "All of a sudden, we’re sending building officials out and they’re seeing things they’ve never seen before," one fire code official from Rhode Island told me for the piece.
With the holiday week not far behind us, you may have recently stayed in an Airbnb or other short-term rental property, so I'd like to know—did you feel safe in that environment? Your experience could have been a recent one, or one from years ago. Answer the poll below, and leave a comment explaining your answer. 
1 total voteYou cannot vote on this poll
  • Yes, I did feel safe in an Airbnb or other short-term rental property
  • No, I did not feel safe in an Airbnb or other short-term rental property
  • Other—please explain in the comments section