AnsweredAssumed Answered

Help with bringing my company up to the NFPA70E standard?

Question asked by Derek Heuring on Nov 2, 2015
Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 by James Serrano

My company is relatively young (3-4 years old) and has an ineffective and rudimentary Electrical safety program.  I have extensive training from the previous company I worked for and hoped to use my experience to bring my new employer up-to-snuff.  Unfortunately, my suggestions fall on deaf ears and has garnered me a "warning" from upper management about "not being a team player".   We have no Electrical Safety Lead at my facility, little PPE, and a haphazard approach to safety.  We never write JHAs before a switching procedure, there are no barricades put up, and un-protected personnel walk in and out of the Arc Flash boundary at will.  We have switched live MVSG (25KV) with a warning label stating there is no level of safe PPE when we have ONCOR personnel onsite who can de-energize the switchgear if asked but since it would involve a slightly more complex switching MOP my advice is ignored.  I've got to the point where I simply refuse to personally do anything unsafe and let the others risk their life and limb....they know the dangers, Lord, I've told them enough times what they're doing is dangerous.  How other than siccing OSHA on them, which would cost me my job, what can be done to drag this company kicking and screaming into the 21st century?

Outcomes