AnsweredAssumed Answered

Duct Detector Testing to include verifying proper airflow

Question asked by Michael Savercool on Jan 4, 2016
Latest reply on Feb 2, 2017 by Robert Townsend

I have responsibility for fire alarm inspections at a large urban school district. Our AHJ has adopted NFPA 72 2013 ed.

Chapter 14, Inspection, Testing and Maintenance (14.4.3.2.g.5) calls for annual testing of duct detectors using sampling tubes to ensure that the detector properly samples the airstream.

I interpret this to mean measuring the air flow to verify proper pressure when compared to manufacturer's product info, but when I mention this testing to local fire contractors they act like they have never heard of this . Is there some exception I'm not aware of??

Also...any big institutional users out there.....how do you ensure that your air handling equipment is running for your testing? We test our systems at night while building use is low but most large air systems have programs to cut back electrical usage when buildings are empty. I can get an AC guy out there to get the units running and keep them running for a few hours but it is a big and expensive hassle. How do other institutions and contractors handle this?

Outcomes