Courtney Oneill

President’s Message

Discussion created by Courtney Oneill Employee on Jan 11, 2016

Peavey.jpgOn behalf of the Executive Board I would like to wish everyone a Happy New Year. I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holiday season.

As we move into 2016, I want to take a couple of minutes to reflect on 2015. As our association continues to grow, the Executive Board is committed to serving the association and our 34 chapters throughout the United States and Canada. The Chapter and Membership Committee continues to work to increase the chapter membership of the association.

You may remember there was some turnover on the Executive Board this year with the resignation of our 1st VP Jeff Donahue and David Kerr who had term limited out. On behalf of the Executive Board and membership of the association, I would like to thank these fire service leaders for their support and service to the International Fire Marshals Association. This loss meant that there were two vacancies on the Board. Those positions have since been filled and I would like to congratulate our newest Executive Board members, James “Robbie” Dawson, Assistant Fire Chief/Fire Marshal Chesterfield County (Virginia) Fire & EMS and Bruce Faust, Fire Marshal Orange County (Florida) Fire Rescue. We look forward to working with our newest board members as we move forward.

This year’s NFPA Annual Conference was held in Chicago. We were honored to participate in the Opening General Session to present the Percy Bugbee Award to our good friend and past IFMA President Jim Crawford. The Percy Bugbee award is the highest honor given by the International Fire Marshals Association and has only been bestowed eight times since it was founded in 1969.  Congratulations to Mr. Crawford for this well-deserved award.

Two Task Groups formed by IFMA - Food Trucks and Medical Marijuana - to address fire safety concerns, provided public input to the appropriate code and standard committees and that input is working its way through the code process. I would like to personally thank all of you who served on or provided input to these Task Groups. Great Job!!!

Finally, the last Executive Board Meeting of the year was held the first week in December in San Antonio, Texas. Below are some of the highlights from that meeting:

• In addition to the two task groups mentioned above, IFMA is also participating with the Fire Protection Research Foundation on Task Groups for Tall Wood Buildings, and Energy Storage Systems.
  • We also have a representative participating in the NFPA Hazardous Waste Task Group.
  • A review of the IFMA By-Laws was completed with several recommendations developed to be presented to the membership. Those changes are included in this edition of the IFMA Quarterly.

Also on our agenda was the Annual Chapter Conference Call. A total of 13 Chapters participated in the hour long conference call with the board. The chapters received information on several items such as committee reports while the representatives provided brief updates from their chapters. 

As we move into 2016, here are several noteworthy dates for your calendars:

2016 Model Measures in Fire Prevention Symposium sponsored by Vision 20/20 will be held March 10 – 12, 2016 in Fairfax, Virginia. For more information go to Strategicfire.org

The Congressional Fire Service Institute Annual Banquet is May 05, 2016 in Washington, DC.

The 2016 NFPA Annual Conference and Expo will be held June 13 – 16, 2016 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The Annual IFMA Chapter Presidents Meeting, Business Meeting, Code and Standards Forum and Section Reception will all be held on Sunday June 12, 2016. Please mark your calendars accordingly.

Remember any association is only as strong as its members. If there is anything IFMA can do to assist you please don’t hesitate to contact one of our Board Members. In closing, I would like to wish you all a safe and prosperous 2016.

Steven Peavey, IFMA President

Outcomes