AnsweredAssumed Answered

Dual Response Area whose Knox Box and AHJ?

Question asked by michael.hall on Feb 28, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 3, 2016 by jeff.perkins

I am the Fire Chief of a combination fire protection district in Oklahoma.  We have city limits of 3 different cities that have come into our district in the last dozen years or so and it is starting to create some questions that need to be answered.  First, we are surrounded by 3 larger all paid fire departments.  The cities have moved their fence lines and city limits recently (15, 10 and 7 years respectively).  The cities provide everything else other than fire protection as a rule.  We are all ISO 3 departments and get along relatively well although we are the only non-union department.  The questions I have pertain to the industrial and commercial growth we are seeing.  We all have our own Knox Box identifiers and respective keys, so which one do we recommend to the owner?  Who is the AHJ for acceptance testing of sprinklers and installed suppression systems.  I am currently more qualified than the fire marshals of the other organizations, however, I am not always quickly available for the inspection or acceptance test.  How do we keep these owners from playing us against each other. 

- Perplexed Chief

Outcomes