AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Temporary" decorations - possible obstructions to sprinklers

Question asked by brad_wolf@marxokubo.com on Mar 10, 2016
Latest reply on Mar 15, 2016 by psmith

I suppose it's a good thing that people in my office are coming to ask me questions before they do something.

People in my office want to hang decorations from the ceiling in an open office area, but they have asked me how far from the sprinklers they need to be. Think a glass bead curtain hanging from the ceiling - that's the best way I know how to describe what they're trying to do. I call this temporary because its not considered part of the building structure, but its not for the holidays and will likely remain in place for years (unless our office manager doesn't like the way it looks). I think it will, to some degree, interfere with the spray pattern of the two sprinkler heads in question.

I gave them the table for suspended or floor mounted obstructions, but this was less than satisfying because (1) it doesn't fit our situation very well because these are not part of the building structure and (2) they are not a solid obstruction.

Any thoughts out there? Obviously, the local fire chief has final say, but I would like to get an indication if this is obviously a bad thing or is in a gray area.

Respectfully,

Brad Wolf

Outcomes