Steven Sawyer

Presidents Message 4-16

Discussion created by Steven Sawyer Employee on Apr 13, 2016

As summer approaches I hope everyone takes a little time for themselves to enjoy a vacation and recharge your batteries, so to speak.

As most of you know IFMA has been participating in several Task Groups. These task groups were formed to address fire code related issues. Below is an update on
the progress of these Task Groups:

Mobile Cooking – The Task Group submitted proposals to the NFPA 1 and NFPA 96 Technical Committees.  The NFPA 1 Committee accepted the proposal with some very minor changes. The NFPA 96 Committee rejected the proposal, however it was last reported that they had formed a group within the committee to review the issue. The task group will also need to work on some minor wording changes.

Medical Marijuana – This Task Group has not yet provided a report, however they are still reviewing the issue.

Tall Wood Buildings – The Fire Protection Research Foundation has completed the Final Report for Phase I. You can obtain a copy of this report at the following link:

http://www.nfpa.org/research/fire-protection-research-foundation/projects-reports-and-proceedings/building-and-life-safety/fire-resistance/fire-safety-challenges-of-tall-wood-buildings

Energy Storage Systems – The final report from the Fire Protection Research Foundation on the Energy Storage System Workshop is now available. You can obtain a copy
of the report and Executive Summary at the following link:

http://www.nfpa.org/research/fire-protection-research-foundation/projects-reports-and-proceedings/proceedings/2016-proceedings/workshop-on-energy-storage-systems-and-the-built-environment

I would like to personally thank all of you who served on, or provided input to these Task Groups.

The next couple of months will be busy for the IFMA Board. In May, we will have our spring board meeting in conjunction with the Annual Congressional Fire Service Institute Events in Washington DC. In June the Board will have a very busy schedule at the 2016 NFPA Annual Conference and Expo the 13th – 16th, 2016 in Las Vegas. The Annual IFMA Chapter Presidents Meeting, Business Meeting, Code and Standards Forum and Section Reception will all be held on June 12, 2016. Please mark your calendars accordingly.

Remember any association is only as strong as its members. If there is anything IFMA can do to assist you please don’t hesitate to contact one of our Board Members.

In closing this is my last article as the President of IFMA. It has been an honor and pleasure to serve the association and its membership. I would like to thank everyone who has supported me over the years, in particular, all of the fellow IFMA board members with whom I have served; the true heart and soul of IFMA, Steven Sawyer, for keeping me straight; the members and leadership of the Florida Fire Marshals and Inspectors Association for helping support me throughout my journey on the IFMA Board; the City of Altamonte Springs, my fellow employees and supervisor Tony Apfelbeck for allowing time away from the office to serve on the board; and last but certainly not least, my wife Laura and children Brianna and Austin who have allowed me to take time from them to reach such a career milestone. It has truly been one of the highlights of my career.

Steve

Outcomes