2012 Edition LSC 188.8.131.52.1 The fire barrier separating parking structures from a building classified as a business occupancy shall be a fire barrier having a minimum 2-hour fire resistance rating.
LSC Table 184.108.40.206.1 Allows a sprinkler reduction to 1-hour between a Business and parking garage (Storage) occupancy.
LSC 220.127.116.11.1 does not allow for a sprinkler reduction (no exceptions). Therefore, requires a 2-hour separation between a business occupancy and a storage occupancy (parking garage).
We have business and assembly on the second floor and a parking garage on the first floor.
1) What is the intent of 2012 Edition LSC 18.104.22.168.1?
2) When would you have to apply the 2-hour rating required in 2012 Edition LSC 22.214.171.124.1? The commentary doesn't really clear this up for me. Especially if the building is a mixed use facility (business, assembly, storage).
3) Would it make a difference if the Business and parking were on the first floor together?
4) Does the 2-hour requirement apply to vertical and/or horizontal separation?
5) Does the entire building have to be classified as business and then wouldn't be a mixed use building (e.g., no assembly or other occupancy including storage/parking)?
6) Wouldn't an assembly occupancy above a parking garage be a higher hazard than a business occupancy? Why isn't this code requirement included under the assembly section of the code as well?
Any other clarification would be greatly appreciated.