Raymond Walker

President’s Message - International Fire Marshals Association

Discussion created by Raymond Walker on Jun 30, 2016

International Fire Marshals Association

President’s Message

Hello and welcome to this issue of the Quarterly, a publication dedicated to and for the benefit of the members of the International Fire Marshals Association (IFMA) and the entire fire prevention family.

Allow me to introduce myself; I am Ray Walker the newly elected President of IFMA. I come to this position from a four decade plus career in fire prevention and also bring my perspectives as an educator and an attorney. I am looking forward to working with everyone to promote the mission and principles of IFMA and to continue the efforts to further reduce the losses due to fires and related and often preventable catastrophes.

Two consistent themes that I heard at the 2016 IFMA Chapter President’s Meeting and the IFMA Business Meeting in Las Vegas were #1 there is an common and ongoing deterioration of support for fire and life safety codes and for those charged with enforcing fire prevention statutes, codes, and regulations and #2 there is a need for us to build strong coalitions in response to these pressures and thru these coalitions to work to further advance the needs and benefits of strong fire prevention efforts.

The IFMA Executive Board, the Executive Secretary, and I will be discussing these concerns of our membership at our upcoming meeting(s).

To help us better share the road ahead I am encouraging each IFMA member to build, as soon as possible, at least one ad hoc coalition with another peer, colleague, neighboring jurisdiction code official, or someone interested in and sharing our mission and principles related to fire prevention and to further grow that relationship by encouraging them to participate in the IFMA family.

The International Fire Marshals Association is your organization and has been for the last 110 years. By working together we can all build upon this proud history and make new successful history going forward.

Please feel free to contact me or any member of the IFMA Board thru our Executive Secretary, Steven Sawyer or to contact me, here in Bolton, CT at ray.walker@boltonct.org.

Outcomes