AnsweredAssumed Answered

Any recommendation about GFCI to select (with NEC requirement)?

Question asked by christian.guillermond on Sep 26, 2016

Dear Sir or Madam

I appeal to your experience on means of protection associated to an industrial product  with drive (Inverters ) installed in USA laboratories (Inlet on the wall). By considering the situation today in our customer laboratories (USA) , all wall socket are equipped with basic GFCI Class A .

This kind of protection is basically unsuitable with Inverters, SMPS…. As defined by UL943C , a class C is required ( the systeme id grounded)

To prevent any trouble, during future installation  in customer lab , we need to give some information about protection to install on the lab electrical installation. ( Use of GFCI type C as Class B is today obsolete...)

Based on your knowledge  experience , could you give me type of protection typically  recommended for such kind of application

Some technical data to help you : (about our system)

-Applied Voltage:  120v/60Hz

-Rated intensity : 20A

-UL certified according IEC61010-1

-Tech embedded : Drive : Inverter with EMI filter

- System grounded


Could you please , make any recommendation about GFCI to select ( with NEC requirement) , and provide me the associated articles of NFPA 70 we have to take care about.

Have a nice day

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Cordialement


Medical Devices and Equipment
Life Science | Global Regulatory Management


1 Rue Jacques Monod
Phone : +33 (0)1 30 12 70 67

Fax :  +33 (0)1 30 12 70 09

| Mobile: +33 (0)6 76 69 89 20