I have had a look at NFPA 30, NFPA 11, NFPA 16, NFPA 37 with regards to the foam suppression systems for diesel storage within buildings, but cannot find the information I am looking for. Here is what I would like to know:
We are designing diesel fire pump rooms with approximately 250 usgal of diesel storage, plus emergency generator rooms which can have diesel storage larger than 660 us gal. Questions are:
- Diesel Fire Pump rooms - can we use AFFF for this application? How do you determine the application area - is this the full area of the room or is it the area of the room which can be flooded with diesel in the event of a leak? Can the foam system be placed in the same room as the diesel pump (NFPA 30 which appears to be written around larger oil tank installations, indicate that the foam suppression system must be located outside of the space they are protecting). What is the application rate in terms of usgal/sq ft? What is the discharge time? Please advise
- Diesel Generator rooms with diesel storage less than 660 usgal - same questions as above.
- Diesel Generator rooms with diesel storage greater than 660 usgal - we will provide a separate room for the diesel storage tank.
- Storage tank room - How do you determine the application area - is this the full area of the room or is it just the area of the room which can be flooded with diesel in the event of a leak? Can the foam system be placed in the same tank room or does it have to be in a separate room? What is the application rate and discharge time?
- Engine room with day tank - same questions as Diesel Fire Pump Rooms.