mycontrols4u

Arc Flash Equipment Labeling Requirements

Discussion created by mycontrols4u on Nov 4, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 29, 2016 by mycontrols4u

Greetings, I am needing some clarification on what appears to be a contradictory statement pertaining to the content of the equipment labeling requirements of NFPA 70E-2015, Article 130.5(C), 130.5(D)(3), and the commentary portion of NFPA 70E Handbook Informative Annex H.1. Your discerning opinions are needed. 

On the one hand...

(1) 130.5(C) states "The results of an incident energy analysis to specify an arc flash PPE Category in Table 130.7(C)(16) shall not be permitted.

(2) 130.5(C)(1) Incident Energy Analysis Method - Informational note "For information on selection of arc rated clothing and other PPE, see Table H.3(b) in Informative Annex H."

(3) 130.5(D)(3) (pertaining to label requirements) states "Available incident energy and the corresponding working distance, or the arc flash PPE category in Table 130.7(C)(15)(A)(b) or Table 130.7(C)(15)(B) for the equipment , but not both.

On the other hand...

NFPA 70E-2015, Informative Annex H.1 Commentary, "Tables 130.7(C)(15)(A)(b), 130.7(C)(15)(B), and 130.7(C)(16) are only applicable when using the arc flash PPE category method to perform an arc flash risk assessment for alternating current (ac) or direct current (dc) systems. "Arc flash PPE categories may be applicable when using the incident energy method to perform an arc flash risk assessment. When performing an incident energy analysis, the arc flash labels created may include an arc flash PPE category." 

It is this last part of the statement that I have underlined that I seem to be struggling with. It would appear to me that the intentional isolation of the two methods for PPE selection and the labeling requirements are rejoined at this point.

Opinions and comments  encouraged.

Blessings,

Stephen Benton, CESCP 

Outcomes