AnsweredAssumed Answered

Frequency of inspection of assembly occupancies

Question asked by Jeremy Mitchell on Nov 19, 2016
Latest reply on Nov 21, 2016 by Rodger Schmidt

Hi, everyone; I was wondering how often your departments check assembly occupancies during special events. In our department we do occupancy checks in bars on an approximately quarterly basis; this included making sure they aren't over their occupancy limit, making sure the exits are clear and in working order, and a very cursory check of the fire detection and suppression systems, if there are any. I began to think on this subject today, because over the last two Saturdays my family has attended holiday craft and shopping events in two of our city's assembly occupancies. In both buildings I saw exits locked or blocked, aisles blocked down past allowable limits, and exit signs that either weren't illuminated or were misleading. Our fire marshal has made it clear that when I'm off duty I'm only supposed to take note for further action, but right now we're so busy (and understaffed) that there's no time for it. I'd like to be able to push on this issue, but I want to have some facts and best practices from other places before I do. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Outcomes