AnsweredAssumed Answered

Largest worldwide fire destruction hypothetical remedy

Question asked by Blair Ames on Nov 25, 2016

Last year driving to California from the annual NFPA conference in Las Vegas, I witnessed massive fires out of control across the state. Residents told me of massive evacuations and destruction of homes. I witnessed the efforts of firefighters ans aerial spraying to mitigate the effect.

This blog will be treated as protected by the NFPA as open source documentation available to all and non-copyright-able or patent-able for immediate implementation by all parties who wish to provide the proposed solution  for mitigation and containment of fires world-wide.

The  California ground field observations were that the conventional modes of fire extinquishment have marginal effect in the environment of an ever warming earth.  For this reason forests are being burnt down all over the planet. 

My proposed hypothetical solution would be to deploy Liquid Nitrogen ( N₂ ) in one ton frangible containers to be dropped over the deepest pockets of the forest in a carpet bombing fashion with military type aircraft.

The immediate effect would be the discharge of liquid nitrogen over the ground and immediate dispersion of the gas due to the decompression of the gas which also serves as a mechanical 2nd endothermic reaction absorbing large amounts of heat from the surrounding air. The secondary effect would be oxygen displacement by Nitrogen (N₂) to minimize the oxygenation of the surrounding fire ground plane. The tertiary effect would be the chemical burning of the Nitrogen for further area Oxygen reduction N₂ + O = NO₂ .

The production of cryogenic   >(-200F) liquefied Nitrogen (-275F) can be provided by facilities already manufacturing liquefied natural gas at LNG plants across the country. The new product would be LN₂G which would be deployed in one ton frangible containers for airborne use. A possible testing site would be Factory Mutual's test facility in Johnston, RI .

I will leave the modelling to the broad range of Chemical, Mechanical and Physics engineers I have met who have graduated as Fire Protection engineers and have raised the Fire Protection analysis bar to new levels to implement this rudimentary  hypothesis to reality . My thanks goes out to the exhibitors at the NFPA conference  and to Wagner from Germany who demonstrated the applications of oxygen reduction for fire mitigation and to my colleges in the past who educated me on the aerial application of liquid gas in one ton containers for mitigation of ground life safety challenges.

Thank you for your consideration of this proposed fire hazard solution.

Blair Ames

Montgomery- Ames

Outcomes