AnsweredAssumed Answered

Regarding NFPA 99 MGPS installation in Hospitals

Question asked by k b sood on Dec 12, 2016

I am a Hospital planning consultant. I feel, the standard must categorise the Inpatients into 3 Types, Intensive care; Acute Care and Intermediate Care. Then specify the MGPS requirements.

Currently, the standard applies to all requirements in same manner.

For example, providing 3 Terminal Units (TU) for Oxygen in Intensive care may be OK but is not correct in Acute Care where 2 outlets will suffice and only 1 in Intermediate care will suffice.

NFPA can conduct a review of Hospitals to check how often the third TU has been used. in 99% Hospitals, the reply will be NEVER.

The Result: Actual Oxygen consumption in 95% Hospitals is average % LPM and not 20 LPM as envisaged. The system is designed for 20 LPM which may be OK but generally, you plan Number of TU x Average Consuumption and the MGPS Sytem gets overdesigned.

I can share my last MGPS NIT and Specifications, if required.

Why I am saying it.

1. Hospital accreditation requires code compliance.

2. Overdesigned Systems cost a lot and then their AMC costs

3. Because of cost many Hospitals do not provide MGPS, a life saving utility.

4. Low cost MGPS will reduce cost of delivery of Healthcare Services

The MGPS installers are exploiting this and making money without contributing to Healthcare delivery or Safety of patients

We have observations for Medical Air, 4 Bar and 7 Bar and for AGSS and can provide details.

WHO AM I

A medical doctor, Hospital Consultant, who has prepared over 40 MGPS Tenders and who is on Expert Panel of Bureaue of Indian Standards (See www.nousdoc.com)

I have some major Hospitals in India which do not meet NFPA for MGPS code but are running without any mishap for last 5 - 25 Years. That is not correct as every time we need to establish a committee. If the Code can be reviewed, all these Hospitals will be code compliant and more safe.

I interact with Promoters and MGPS Industry players who exploit the code requirements differently leading to NFPA origin in 1896.

Lets us remove this by reviewing the code.

Outcomes