We are having query raised by our project consultant to conduct standpipe flow test at the hydraulically most remote hose connection and measure the residual pressure and flow simultaneously from same outlet as per below reference.
NFPA-14 ( 2016 Edition)
FIGURE A.11.5.2(a) Standpipe Flow Test Methods: Test With Pump Through FDC.
11.5 Flow Tests.
22.214.171.124 This test shall be conducted by flowing water simultaneously from the outlet(s) indicated in the approved hydraulic calculations of each standpipe as required by Sections 7.8 and 7.10.
However, we have explored all possibilities to conduct test and measure residual pressure and water flow at the same time from single outlet and unable to measure residual pressure. We have proposed below method of testing to project consultant.
METHOD FOR COMBINED STANDPIPE HYDROSTATIC AND FLOW TEST ( Reference NFPA-14) :
- Identify the hydraulically most remote 2-outlet(s)/(Landing valves : LV1 & LV2) for the most demanding riser to test the flow of 500 GPM.
- Identify each hydraulically most remote -outlet(s)/(Landing valves : LV3 & LV4) to test 250 gpm (946 L/min) for each additional riser up to a maximum of 1000 gpm (3785 L/min) as MC3 package buildings are fully sprinklered.
- Connect the LV-1 with “Testing Flow Equipment (FLW_1)[ Make:- V M Hydrant Flow Gauge (Model – 115148)] as described in schematic layout.
- Install the supply water gauge (P1) near the feed main tapping of the most demanding riser before Zone Control Assembly (ZCV).
- A static pressure gauge reading will be taken at the lowest elevation of building, inside sprinkler plant room –Inlet Manifold to riser assembly.
- Open the Remotest Landing valve (LV1) with the Discharge of 250 GPM and Record the pressure indicated by the supply water gauge ( P1).
- Open the 2nd LV-2 for the most demanding riser to test the flow of 500 GPM and Record the pressure indicated by the supply water gauge ( P1).
- Open the 3rd LV in the 2nd Remotest riser with the cumulative discharge of 750 GPM and Record the pressure indicated by the supply water gauge( P1).
- Open the 4th LV in the 3nd Remotest riser with the cumulative discharge of 1000 GPM and after the flow has stabilized from all four Landing Valves ( LV-1 to LV-4), record the residual (flowing) pressure indicated by the water supply gauge( P1).
- At the time all the during 4 landing valve open, Make sure the flow meter (FLW-1) is measuring minimum 250 GPM all the time.
- At the completion of the flow tests, ensuring the minimum residual pressure of 100 psi (6.9 bar) at the outlet of the hydraulically most remote Landing Valve].
Requesting your technical view on our proposed standpipe flow test Method in accordance with NFPA-14 requirements.