AnsweredAssumed Answered

Requirements on Temporary and Permanent Fire Header Repairs

Question asked by hlbrown0 on Jul 17, 2017
Latest reply on Jul 19, 2017 by hlbrown0

My facility is approaching 50 years old, and the fire headers within the facility are starting to have several issues with leaks.  In the past, we've used steel pipe sleeves that were clamped into place around a leak so that the system could be returned to service until a full pipe replacement could be performed.  Now, one of the raw water engineers is proposing using a carbon fiber/epoxy wrap to repair the pipe, and proposing to use that as a permanent repair, i.e. keep the composite wrap in place instead of cutting and welding in a new section of piping.

Has anyone else used something similar?  Are there code restrictions on what can and cannot be used as a temporary/permanent header repair? 

I've done my searches and cannot find anything in 13, 14, 15, 24 or 25 restricting temporary repairs.  I, myself, see a few technical issues with using this composite wrap as a permanent repair, and I'd much rather the pipe be replaced instead of patched.  However, this wrap solution is much more cost effective in the short term than replacing pipe, and I need a strong justification (such as an NFPA code disallowing it) in order to justify the pipe replacement.

Outcomes