AnsweredAssumed Answered

Inspection of single family houses used as Airbnb's

Question asked by Andrew Stemp on Nov 16, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 13, 2017 by rfdacm02

I am trying to determine the inspection requirements of a residence used as an Airbnb. The 2018 NFPA 1 just changed the definition of a one and two dwelling unit to exclude renting to more than 3 people (6.1.8.1.1).  I think that the residence would then fall under lodging and rooming houses (6.1.8.1.2) but since the house has a kitchen, that definition doesn't fully apply.  There was a similar question posed earlier, but that was for a multi-occupancy situation and it doesn't fully apply to my situation.  Also, there could be issues with requirements depending on who/how it is being used.  A person (owner) may live there half of the year and rent it out the other half, or it may be rented only once or twice the entire year.  For example, residential units are not inspectable, but lodging houses are.  As another example, all types of Christmas trees are allowed in a residence, but only balled trees are allowed in a lodging occupancy (table 10.13.1.1).  Likewise there are different requirements for fire extinguishers, exit marking and so forth.

Outcomes