AnsweredAssumed Answered

Roll Paper Storage Height Limits

Question asked by Dan Lampke on Dec 15, 2017
Latest reply on Dec 15, 2017 by cda cda

I just got involved in a storage facility design for a client who is looking to store roll paper in a 40 ft stack.  I have not been able to get the paper weight or the array confirmed, but based on pictures and process I believe it to be mediumweight wrapped with 40 lb paper (so, treated as heavyweight).

I have designed rack and pile storage sprinkler systems before, but this is the first time I have dealt with Roll Paper storage specifically, and so I was quite surprised to see that NFPA 13 (2016) only allows for storage heights up to 30 ft (ESFR) or 26 ft (CMSA).

Is that indeed the height limit for roll paper, or am I just missing something blatant?  I am essentially looking for confirmation that I am indeed following the right information within NFPA 13, and there is no caveat or alternative that would allow the paper to be stored above 30 ft.  The client claims they have another facility that stores at 35 ft, which I am thinking is not allowed, but its gotten me suspicious enough I would like a peer opinion.

Thanks all!

Outcomes