- I have a 3rd floor apartment, approximately 500 Sq. feet with currently one primary egress/means of escape, being an exterior wood stair from the apartment door to grade. The sleeping room window is non-compliant for an escape window.
- NFPA 101 (2012) - Means of escape for Existing apartment dwelling units must comply with chapter 24.2 for one and two family dwellings.
- 220.127.116.11.2 states:
- A secondary means of escape shall not be required
where one of the following conditions is met:
(1) The bedroom or living area has a door leading directly
to the outside of the building at or to the finished ground
(2) The dwelling unit is protected throughout by an approved
automatic sprinkler system in accordance with
- The question posed by the property owner is: Can I convert the 3rd floor apartment to a "studio" apartment (no separate bedroom) in order to meet option (1) of this exception?